Go Down

Topic: Arduino Input Voltage (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

healthyfatboy

I know the specifications show the input voltage to be 7-12V. I have a random 12V 1A power supply I received from someone that is center pin positive and from what I could tell, fits just fine (didn't apply actual power). I know the polarity is correct but I wanted to confirm whether or not I would have any issues supplying 12V to the board. I assume the regulator is a linear one and if I'm dropping it down to 5V, it's going to heat up. That's what I'm most concerned about it heat. If this isn't going to work, then I'll just continue giving it power from USB or batteries when needed but having a power supply would be useful.
Thanks!

retrolefty

I know the specifications show the input voltage to be 7-12V. I have a random 12V 1A power supply I received from someone that is center pin positive and from what I could tell, fits just fine (didn't apply actual power). I know the polarity is correct but I wanted to confirm whether or not I would have any issues supplying 12V to the board. I assume the regulator is a linear one and if I'm dropping it down to 5V, it's going to heat up. That's what I'm most concerned about it heat. If this isn't going to work, then I'll just continue giving it power from USB or batteries when needed but having a power supply would be useful.
Thanks!

It will work. The regulator will run much warmer then if you used say a 9vdc power module. I ran my Arduino board for it's first year on a regulated +15vdc lap top power module and had no problems, other then a hot regulator. Note the these kinds of regulators will shutdown into self protection mode if they get too hot or too much current is drawn from them, so damage is unlikely. However no one likes to run stuff hotter then it needs to be for best overall reliablity.

Lefty

WillR

A 9V 1Amp  to 1.5Amp wall wart with the proper connector (Center positive) is the simplest external supply.

I also have a multi-output supply in reserve for the day I draw too much 3.3V power.

My one criticism of the Mega 2560 is the weak power -- only 50ma of 3.3V. No heat sinks on the regulators... It would be worth a few bucks more.

CrossRoads

Or just get a real 5V supply - this works great
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=18520+PS
I have a panel mount connector to plug it into for my enclosure, and I bring the 5v to the arduino 5v pin, bypassing the regulator.
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=18549+PL
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

pluggy

There won't be any problem feeding it 12V providing its not providing anything significant through the 5v lines. The Arduino itself, a couple of LEDS and passive low drain sensors should be OK (10k impedance say) . I've fed one of mine 15V without it getting above mildly warm.  Don't even think about hanging an ethernet shield on it.......
http://pluggy.is-a-geek.com/index.html

link193

Sorry guys, can anyone tell me if the board or the microcontroller is burned if I accidentally put 10 v in the 5v input (power supply) ... because now it doesnt work and when y reset presing the button the on board led does not turn on.

Do you know if is just the micro or the whole board is burned??? If i put a new chip would it be necesary to install the bootloader?? Thanks

spycatcher2k

You may of fried just the chip, or the other chps on the board or the led. Get a chip and try it, if it works - good, if it does'nt - buy another arduino, and you got a spare chip  :D

Drew.
-=-
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design & Assembly work undertaken - Arduino repairs & testing - PM for details. Arduino & C# PC programming.

CrossRoads

You can buy a new chip with or without the bootloader.
Without can be a dollar or two cheaper.
Which board? If you fried the USB interface chip then you're dead in the water.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up