making 'slots' in PCB's? (Eagle)

I have never done this.. so figured id ask if there is a trick or proper way to do this..

basically i want to make a window or a slot in my PCB...

this is so I can use reverse mounted SMD leds..

soldered on the BOTTOM of the PCB..but the diode/led/light shines through the TOP of the PCB through the window/slot...

Here is a quick visual of the type of CUT I am trying to make:

Do I just use the poly/arc tools and draw it in the dimensions layer? or is there a special drill/hole option that one should use or something?

thanks!

I think I would just have a hole drilled there, just like a regular screw hole.

So youre suggestion do 'individual holes'? (

hmm.. I was more looking for a long (oblong) hole.. and not so much for individual holes..

thanks Crossroads..

Or do the individual holes as suggested, but then use a side-cutting bit in a dremel and simply route it all the way down through all the individual holes. As far as I know, there is no simple way to make slots in eagle. I suppose that you could make a custom library...

If you're making your own boards or if you're using a cheaper factory like SeeedStudio that doesn't support slots then I think Retroplayer has the best idea.

If your PCB factory supports slots then they should give you specifics on what they want. For example here's what OSH Park says: (OSH Park Docs ~ Services ~ Fabrication Services):

Internal cutouts are allowed and supported. Draw them on your board outline layer.

Good luck!

For a long slot, you can draw two arcs, connect them with lines, all on the dimension layer.
Iteadstudio may accept it. Maybe not.
Why not put the LEDs on normally?

Normally you would draw the slots in the "milling" layer, and negotiate with your board vendor about how (what size router bit, whether it would be a separate gerber file, etc) and when (before or after plating) that step was done (and how much it would cost.)

OSHPark wants the lines in the board outline layer, and they use a 0.1inch bit (so your minimum slot width is 0.1inch) (I actually asked about this recently.)

I don't know if this helps, but iTead do slots on their demonstration board so you might ask them? Assuming they are going to be making it for you that is!

http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/bare-open-pcb/pcb-process-capability-demonstrate-card.html

If you're making your own boards or if you're using a cheaper factory like SeeedStudio that doesn't support slots then I think Retroplayer has the best idea.

???

attachment: seeedstudio made pcb

Unbenannt.png

IMAGE_298.jpg

My mistake -- I could have sworn when I looked last year they didn't do slotting. Maybe they added that recently?

More likely, I'm getting old in my old age.

lax123:

???

attachment: seeedstudio made pcb

they write:
•Drills line and long slot cannot be accepted.
•Minimum slot 1mm*2mm.

i dont get what that means.

Those drills gave me an drc error with their drc file, but i asked seeed if it was ok to make a slot this way and they said its alright

So you finished the slot yourself, right?

nope, its just as it arrived. looking at the brd/footprint it would be wrong, as there are only 2 circles used in it, but the product is just as i wanted it. maybe someone is looking over the files and alters the design. however i asked before sending the files if its ok and the dc jack is straight from the arduino reference.

"Can you accept "small" retangular slot for DC power jacks or should I convert them to big circular holes? Thanks.

the minimum plated slot hole is 0.8mm"

or

"Hello. Am I allowed to use overlapping plated-through holes for USB plug in my Sprint Layout project as shown in the picture?"

no problem, this is a good way to do plated-through slot hole.

conclusion: they dont have issues with slots at all

I currently have it on the dimensions layers.. and I guess I'll ask iTead (or whomever) if its 'ok'..

I was just wondering if there was a way or components or option that most people use for this.. instead of hand drawing it using the arc/poly/line tools..

it is NOT for being able to snap a parts boards in the end.. nor do should they be through plated either..

its a needed 'slot' in the design... to let the reverse mounted SMD led shine through the 'top' side.. (from underneath)

@ Crossroads-

why cant they go on 'top' like normal leds??... well because there is a 'top' over the pcb.. that also mirrors this 'slot/window' to show 7 SMD leds through it.. :slight_smile:

if the leds on top.. the 'top' will not sit flush. They MAKE reverse mount smd leds for a reason, Im assuming for the same purpose (flush top)?

lax123:
nope, its just as it arrived. looking at the brd/footprint it would be wrong, as there are only 2 circles used in it, but the product is just as i wanted it. maybe someone is looking over the files and alters the design. however i asked before sending the files if its ok and the dc jack is straight from the arduino reference.

"Can you accept "small" retangular slot for DC power jacks or should I convert them to big circular holes? Thanks.

the minimum plated slot hole is 0.8mm"

or

"Hello. Am I allowed to use overlapping plated-through holes for USB plug in my Sprint Layout project as shown in the picture?"

no problem, this is a good way to do plated-through slot hole.

conclusion: they dont have issues with slots at all

Well overlapping drill holes is a recipe for shattered carbide drills (more so with smaller drills) - its usually a DRC failure
to have holes too close together.

I can easily do this with my CNC mill. Smallest width groove I can cut is .67 mm. PM me if you need this work done.

As a pcb manufacturer's(www.CYindustrial.com) opion,show your slots design in outline
layer is the best choice,and u should specify it pth or npth.then the manufacturer should
understand what u mean.that's pop method for most layout people.so easy to understand.
for your reference.