Introducing new JeonLab mini v1.3

Since I introduced the JeonLab mini v1.0, I thought I could make it smaller and breadboard friendly. So I designed a new version.

This is yet another minimalist Arduino compatible board which means there are only core components: ATmega328p with Arduino bootloader, resistors for the reset pins and LEDs (power and d13), and a capacitor for auto-reset when you upload your sketch through external FTDI interface.

I found there is enough space for resistors or capacitors between the PCB bottom and the breadboard because of the height of the header plastic part. So I arranged those 3 resistors and a capacitor at the bottom layer so that only ATmega328p, ceramic resonator, and 2 LEDs can be compactly arranged on the top layer. This fits very well on a mini breadboard.

It looks like this.

JeonLab mini v1.3 assembled 1 by DS2DYS, on Flickr

An example with external power (+5V, but it runs at about 3-5V).

JeonLab mini v1.3 testing by DS2DYS, on Flickr

You can upload your sketch with FTDI breakout board (e.g. Sparkfun).

JeonLab mini v1.3 on bread board with FTDI by DS2DYS, on Flickr

Its pin arrangement:

JeonLab mini 1.3 pins by DS2DYS, on Flickr

More detail and examples will be posted on my blog.

Thanks.

Nice one!

Very handy for breadboard usage.

Why not use wirewarap header type sockets with Rs & Cs mounted between the DIP legs so the assembly can be 3/10 wide instead of 5/10?
Got me curious as to if that would fit or not now.

wortelsoft:
Nice one!

Thank you!

wortelsoft:
Very handy for breadboard usage.

Yes, indeed! I'm quite satisfied with this design. :slight_smile:

CrossRoads:
Why not use wirewarap header type sockets with Rs & Cs mounted between the DIP legs so the assembly can be 3/10 wide instead of 5/10?
Got me curious as to if that would fit or not now.

That (wire-wrap DIP socket with long legs) was first thing came to my mind when I designed this, but they were quite expensive (the cheapest one I could find from Digikey was over $5.00). I wanted to make it inexpensive and ended up with this design. If you want 3/10, there is so called one-chip Arduino I remember.

Thanks.

I was thinking of the pins that I found at MarcoSpecialties, and also Gravitech.us (shorter legs).
Something like $1.90 for 20 pins, or maybe 32. I have used a lot of them as sockets for promini's with "interconnect" pins added as the promini leads (also from gravitech.us).

One-chip Arduino - the Solarbotic Ardweeny, with the components mounted on a board installed on the chips back.