Question about the forum itselfs

Hi everyone,

First, let me excuse myself for my bad english grammar.

I've been reading the forum guidelines about how to post proper question on this forum, but i've didnt find what I was looking for.

I wonder, would it be accepted to create SINGLE post on the forum to share with people my "Arduino learning process" ? I dont know anyone working with Arduino around me and they are not really interested in what i'm doing, they are actually telling me I've put 100$ to trash by buying an Arduino, so I can't really share with them and it's kind of killing my motivation in a certain way. I would like to post pictures of my projects, the errors i've faced and how I've solve them, maybe that could help other beginners? I really like to share with people and help others as much as I can.

Lastly, if my idea is approved, on what sub-forum I should post it?

I ask before posting, I prefer to respect the rules as this forum is my only apportunity to share with people about Arduino and my projects.

Thank you for your time, I wish you a wonderful day and succes in your projects.

Hi Evanp886, welcome.

I think the best place to put that kind of posts, is this section (click !), or this one.
At least the description of those sections have some similarities with what you're asking for.
The 1st. one is more to show off your projects, and the other one to help out starters.
So if your post or thread focuses on some project, the 1st would be the best.

If you're going to follow up on that post by adding questions about it, then it's better to look for a section that covers the core of your project.

It's good to see that some of the newbies still like to follow the "rules" (rather netiquette to me), and start by reading the guidelines to this forum.

Evanp886:
they are actually telling me I've put 100$ to trash by buying an Arduino,

Certainly not.

Arduinos and programming generally is great fun and good exercise for the brain.

And it's a lot cheaper than joining a golf club.

...R

Sounds to me like you need better friends. We may be brash here, but nobody here will insult you for playing with Arduinos!

Nice to see i'm not the only one to look at these forums with a level of trepidation.......

It's just there seems to be a high volume of arrogant ego's present - what is easy for them doesn't translate to easy to the uninitiated and some of the responses iv'e seen have left me speechless regarding the social skills of certain individuals. Yes, i'm in fear of asking a question, often resorting to googling tutorial videos to watch for hours on end to try and find the relevant point i'm looking for being discussed in simple terms.

While I respect the lack of patience for stupid questions ( I'm an electronic security systems installer, so iv'e seen/heard it all ) and poorly described errors or project issues, the level of knowledge some people are expecting others to have is ludicrous and incompatible with teaching. If I spoke to my lesser co-workers or trainee's as is done here sometimes, or worse still my clients ( stupid question posers #1 ), I'd be sacked. Combine that with what seems to be a complete lack of a forum level search function, there's definite room for improvement here with the forum design and it's heavier users social skills.

To those who are well versed in both component level electronics and C++ programming, I'd suggest you keep in mind you were new to both fields at one stage. No, everyone doesn't have a professional career based in either field, some people are just hobbyists. No, not every user of the forums wants to try and find the previously discussed topic last posted in 4 yrs ago by manually clicking through page after page of forum topics and sub folders.

Take myself for example - Iv'e been installing, servicing and designing security systems for 15 yrs, ALL of my electronics knowledge is self taught, my only experience with code level programming was about 30 years ago with BASIC on a C64. Learning C++ for arduino is a daunting experience, the official tutorials are very limited, the reference section far too complex and the reference code examples are vague.

Sometimes it's a nightmare just to work out which code function / variable / structure component I should try and learn next. Some of the code functions / variables / structures seem completely irrelevant to anything and / or extremely advanced and thus unlikely to ever be used by the average Arduino user. When you then add library's into the mix, it's a complete head melt moment. It ( the reference section ) needs breaking down into basic / intermediate / advanced / masochist so the self taught have a chance to learn. Some 3rd party tutorials do a far better job of explaining the coding and electronics components of arduino than the official site, that is once you've spent hours finding them.

TL;DR - Wow....well what was going to be a brief comment about the forum in relation to the original post, turned into a long winded waffle, but hopefully someone takes the time to read it and understand a different perspective. I look forward to seeing your "arduino learning process" post Evanp886 and I will gladly post my own experiences in the hope of it benefiting other beginner users.

Longtoke:
the level of knowledge some people are expecting others to have is ludicrous and incompatible with teaching. If I spoke to my lesser co-workers or trainee's as is done here sometimes, or worse still my clients ( stupid question posers #1 ), I'd be sacked.

Please post links to examples of this.

I don't like generalisations.

Also, without wishing to diminish your complaint, you must realize that all the contributors here are self-selected volunteers

...R

Robin2:
Please post links to examples of this.

That I won't do, considering some of the shall we say "harsh" reply's are from people marked as moderators, let alone I don't want to unwittingly name a person and see them singled out along with a ban for myself for having named and shamed. Some of these post are obviously using the advantage of anonymity that the internet provides, and it's not my place to correct that negative behaviour.

Robin2:
Also, without wishing to diminish your complaint, you must realize that all the contributors here are self-selected volunteers

If there's no standards applied to / vetting process for moderators, It explains a lot.

Longtoke:
That I won't do, considering some of the shall we say "harsh" reply's are from people marked as moderators,

In that case it is even more important to point out specific problems.

I suspect you will find that the moderators have thick skins and as long as you are not personally abusive there will be no repercussions if you say that you did not think X or Y was appropriate.

Perhaps a better strategy is to comment on what you think is an inappropriate remark in the Thread where you see it. That way your comment will be seen in context.

The other aspect of pointing out specific cases is that you will have to be prepared for the possibility that other people do not agree with your criticism. When you make vague general comments there is no opportunity for debate.

...R

I think the moderators ought to be nominated for beatification.

TolpuddleSartre:

+1

But nobody should be above constructive criticism.

...R
PS... For a moment I thought there was a 'u' in your long word :slight_smile:

Robin2:
+1

But nobody should be above constructive criticism.

...R
PS... For a moment I thought there was a 'u' in your long word :slight_smile:

That would make it an unsigned long word :smiley:

TolpuddleSartre:
That would make it an unsigned long word :smiley:

I wonder are we on the same wavelength? I was thinking of beaUtification

...R

TolpuddleSartre:

be·at·i·fi·ca·tion - noun - (in the Roman Catholic Church) declaration by the Pope that a dead person is in a state of bliss...

Easy there @TolpuddleSartre. This moderator is hoping to have a few more miles left on the tires.

Robin2:
I was thinking of beaUtification

Certainly better than the other option.

Oh dear! I hope no-one construed that as a threat - I do have an unfortunate (and undeserved) reputation in that respect.

If not living sainthood, how about living national treasure?

TolpuddleSartre:
Oh dear! I hope no-one construed that as a threat

Not me.

I am not (was not?) sufficiently knowledgeable about Papal ritual to link it with death.

...R

TolpuddleSartre:
Oh dear! I hope no-one construed that as a threat...

Not even a little.

The moderators have all received actual threats. We can tell the difference.

Just winding you up.

TolpuddleSartre:
If not living sainthood, how about living national treasure?

That seems fitting. I had a dearly treasured aunt who's life was very likely shorten because of radiation exposure from being born in Nagasaki.