Programming ATTiny with new IDE

So of course Arduino comes out with a new IDE and now I can't use any of my ATtiny boards because I can't get them to show up because they are using this new boards manager crap.

Can somebody please show me how I can install all the ATtiny boards? Thanks!

In theory if u had the ATtiny cores installed before, they should have shown up in the new installation.
You don't need to use "this new boards manager crap".
You can do it the old fashioned way.

You might want to install updated cores though.

When I wanted to re-install the cores, I asked my friend Mr Google - he was mighty helpful.
IMHO the more u vent the less people feel inclined to help u.

You can install cores the old fashioned way. I'm ignoring all the boards manager crap until I have some confidence that they're not going to introduce another breaking change in a month. They were really bad about that this spring.

You do need to use a core that's made for 1.6.5, though. Like the two linked in my sig (those are normal links to the repo, not stupid board manager URLs)

Aisc the only reason I called the board manager crap is because me and my friends hate it. BTW, what is the old way of installing? Before all I had to do was copy the attiny folder into my sketchbook and hardware folder and I was done. I tried doing that on the IDE and that didn't work.

Thanks guys and thanks DrAzzy for the links!

Sluice:
Aisc the only reason I called the board manager crap is because me and my friends hate it. BTW, what is the old way of installing? Before all I had to do was copy the attiny folder into my sketchbook and hardware folder and I was done. I tried doing that on the IDE and that didn't work.

Thanks guys and thanks DrAzzy for the links!

You copy the core to the hardware folder in your sketchbook - that's the right way. They fiddled with the directory structure though, so installing an old core that way will result in it not seeing it. You want it to look something like this (shown for my cores)

I sync the repo to my hardware folder with the github client - that's what I recommend if you're comfortable with github; that way, you can easily update it (both of my cores get updated frequently)

DrAzzy:
I sync the repo to my hardware folder with the github client - that's what I recommend if you're comfortable with github; that way, you can easily update it (both of my cores get updated frequently)

I have no clue what this means :smiley:

Sluice:
I have no clue what this means :smiley:

Hence the "if you're comfortable with github" bit :wink: It's just a way of sync'ing what you have installed to the latest version of the core, instead of a manual download-extract-replace process.

DrAzzy:
Hence the "if you're comfortable with github" bit :wink:

Haha ok :D. Well thanks for your help!