What's with the response to Sandy's victims ?

but people are hoarding them because they are scared.

I understand that, heck we have a run on supplies here every long weekend, you'd think the shops were never going to open again.

I expect sandbags to start arriving there by May.

:slight_smile:

And video games are about $1B/month

$8B is not so much in that light eh?

which I assume is the value in Australian dollars

All the same these days, give or take a cent or two.

there are strong labor unions preventing additional help from coming in

When my dad came back from Africa in WW2 the troop ships anchored off Perth. These guys hadn't eaten a decent meal in a couple of years and the unions refused to bring supplies out to the ships until they got a pay rise. Pissing off 1000s of blokes armed to the teeth that had just spent years killing people was not such a great idea as it turned out, as my dad told the story the union wharfies worked at gun point with no pay rise :slight_smile:

Unions had their uses and their day and without them most of us would still be working in really bad conditions. However that day has largely passed as far I'm concerned.

you gotta wonder about a person as unprepared as that.

We live off the grid in almost every sense of the phrase, you could wipe out all the towns on our eastern seaboard and except for the fact that I couldn't get onto the Arduino forum I wouldn't notice until we drove into town 1-2 months later to get food :slight_smile:

However I guess some people live from hand to mouth, especially in poorer areas.

Gas hoarding is not typical but yeah, it happens.

You gotta love that, 30 buckets of petrol in a van. There's a guy cruising for a Darwin award.

Rob