"Beginning Arduino" Book

Thought i'd tell you about my new book, "Beginning Arduino" that is now available:-

US: Amazon.com. Spend less. Smile more.
UK: http://amzn.to/fTAY5G

The book is desined to take absolute beginners in both electronics and programming through a total of 50 projetcs, learning as you go, until by Project 50 you are proficient at using the Arduino.

You will learn such things as:-

• Controling motors and servos
  • LCD Displays
  • Ethernet shield usage
  • sending data to Pachube
  • Scrolling text on LED displays
  • Touch screens
  • Reading and writing to SD cards
  • Making a line following robot

...and so on. The style of the book is easy going, with the reader diving right into projects from the start and not learning theory first. The best way to learn, in my opinion, is to get stuck in and learn as you go along.

The book is full of colour diagrams showing breadboard circuit diagrams using Fritzing and full code for each project is included. The chapter then explains in easy to follow, step by step procedures, how both the electronics and the code works so you get a full understanding of how to use the Arduino, how to program it and how to use components with it. Each project builds on the knowledge of previous projects.

This is the book I wish I had when I first started in Arduino development. It's available now from Amazon, Barnes & Noble and all good bookshops.

smiley

Mike

This is a great book, it's well written, clearly laid out and covers a great range of topics.

I'm in the UK, it was cheaper ordering from the US Amazon and waiting a bit for delivery.

For any Dutchies out there, the book is also for sale at bol.com: http://www.bol.com/nl/p/engelse-boeken/beginning-arduino/1001004010619357/index.html

I'm gonna get it soon, seems like an awesome book :slight_smile:

Mike,
Bought the book and find it truely facinating. I am just beginnig to scratch the surface with this. I was wondering if you were aware of some of the typos in the book. Some of the tables seem as though they weren't typeset correctly. i.e. table 3-5. Also, on page 111 the pin numbering explanation is a bit jumbled. I can't until this week end to finally have the time to start building! I bought the book at Borders in the US.

Kennykbe:
Mike,
Bought the book and find it truely facinating. I am just beginnig to scratch the surface with this. I was wondering if you were aware of some of the typos in the book. Some of the tables seem as though they weren't typeset correctly. i.e. table 3-5. Also, on page 111 the pin numbering explanation is a bit jumbled. I can't until this week end to finally have the time to start building! I bought the book at Borders in the US.

You're right about the table but the pin description seems ok to me. Have a look at the diagram on p116, turn the book to the left so the dimple (shown as a circle) is to your left. You'll see pins 1, 8, 9 and 16 matches.

Here's how its described in my copy:
"The chip has a small dimple on one end; this dimple goes to the left. Pin 1is below the dimple, Pin 8 is at bottom right, Pin 9 is top right, and Pin 16 is at top left"

Now as I type this out its making sense. The written description is if the chip is oriented horizontally. I'm used to looking at chips vertically. I am so sorry to made an issue of this. Maybe I'll noodle through things in my head a little more before I post!!

Thanks for the respone Mike. I'm really looking forward to working my way through this book of yours!

I'm not mike, I was just sat here with the book next to me and thought I'd check :slight_smile:

Hi, I'm Mike.

Yes I was aware of the table issue. I have no idea how this got to print like that as the chapters were checked by myself, tech reviews and a proof-reader too. The final chapter sent to the printers was not like that so something has gone awry at the printer end by the looks of things.

However, as has been said, the pin description is correct so if you follow that it all makes sense.

Please submit any errors found to the errata link on the Apress website. That way they will appear in the Errata list for others to see. Thanks. Apress

Glad you are enjoying the book.

The book is doing well and receiving positive reviews. It has been shown at CES and is for sale from Amazon (.com, .co.uk, .fr, .de, jp, .ca, etc.)

Order your copy now !! :smiley:

If you have a copy and want to meet me in person. I'll be at the UK Maker Faire this coming weekend. You will either find me at the London Hackspace stand or walking around. If you want to meet me when i'm there then send me a Tweet and i'll come find you.

Just a note that the book has now reduced in price on Amazon and is also available in colour PDF format as well as Kindle format.

:slight_smile:

Hi Mike, Where is the PDF version available?? Don't see it on Amazon... I just don't like to have a special application for my ebooks. Hard enough to keep me organized already :slight_smile:

Terry - The PDF version is available from Apress directly.

There is a short review of my book on the latest episode of Make Magazines 'The Latest in Arduino':

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/07/the-latest-in-arduino-episode-2.html