ROV motor

hey weird timing. I was looking at a larger version of that design a few wees back, it looked like it had got itself stuck in a lake amongst some lake-gunk. One thing I'd like to build is an autonomous ROV using gps to chart its way around the shorelines. I think I'd prefer a more efficient design like a tube or classic sub shape, that way less power would be needed for propulsion as these ROV designs don't look very hydrodynamic. You could use relays for switching, I just bought 50 x 5v for 12 bucks off ebay so they're not expensive. Any of the LED examples will power a 5v relay, you just need to hop the 220ohm resistor(s). I've seen a design using a battery powered toothbrush, I pulled one apart the other day and the motors pack quite a punch, and they're already water proof. The larger motors they've got attached to that thing I wouldn't know what they're called, Curvetech Thrusters? They look expensive. Anyway, all very doo'able with Arduino, and then some :slight_smile:

GPS would be neat but expensive. and would it work well underwater? I was thinking of putting things in like pressure sensors that set off a land alarm if it gets too deep and meb if i find another arduino/other microcontroller a computer interface. Could i make it wireless with xbee? or would it not work well underwater? I like the sub style idea but that has some problems like that i dont have a submarine shaped shell. and i would then also have to figure out a water ballast system. The tube shape may work though, a large piece of pvc pipe with the electronics inside would definitly work but then roll in the water is an issue. They all have advantages and disadvantages including the clasic design. I love the idea of having the relays. so with a 5v relay 5v activates the switch but does it matter how much current goes through the switch after activated? and what about the analog output so i can control the speed of the motors how would a relay deal with that? Do you think toothbrush motors could really do it? with a camera, sensors, stuff to waterproof all the electronics etc.. i was looking at inexpensive electric screwdrivers I saw another ROV with small bilge pumps. i have no idea for batteries yet. and if i if i go wireless with xbee how to handle the camera.
thx for the help