ATmega1284P: End to End using 1.0 IDE

@theloon
You are using MCP1702 regulator. Data sheet says 250 mA Output Current for Output Voltages >= 2.5V
So wont that be a problem when say output pins starts providing more current? Please correct me if I am wrong.. :slight_smile:

Run the pin 21 trace between the FTDI's DTR and TX pin.

Caps also seem oddly sized - C2 & C6 are both 0.1uF, yet have different footprints.

C5 & C7 are physically smaller 22pF caps, yet also have large footprints.

C1 & C4 are 1uF and typically physically larger, yet have small footprints too.

I also know parts are available in all kinds of shapes & sizes tho, so these are just observations and not something that is necessary to change.

000:
@theloon
You are using MCP1702 regulator. Data sheet says 250 mA Output Current for Output Voltages >= 2.5V
So wont that be a problem when say output pins starts providing more current? Please correct me if I am wrong.. :slight_smile:

I'm drawing on a tried and true regulator used on the JeeNode although I haven't used it yet.

CrossRoads:
Run the pin 21 trace between the FTDI's DTR and TX pin.

Caps also seem oddly sized - C2 & C6 are both 0.1uF, yet have different footprints.

C5 & C7 are physically smaller 22pF caps, yet also have large footprints.

C1 & C4 are 1uF and typically physically larger, yet have small footprints too.

I also know parts are available in all kinds of shapes & sizes tho, so these are just observations and not something that is necessary to change.

If you study the .png long enough I'm shure you'll understand. :smiley: For example the physically larger cap @C2 is for ground pour and each size and type has it's own purpose. Ground pour issue still stands without increasing the overall size of the board.

Have any of you guys noticed when you set pinMode(4, input) the 1284p wont run? For me its only pin 4. Seriously strange, I have buttons going in to multiple pins, and pin 4 is the only one with this issue.

Here is the weird part:

When I set pin 4 as input and have the button/resistor hooked up - program wont run.
When I don't set pin 4 as input, but have the button/resistor hooked up - it works.
When I set pin 4 as input, and remove the resistor - it works.

I have absolutely no idea as to why this is. Ive tested many different resistors, multiple buttons, multiple PCBs that I have made, and also my DIP setup. Same thing everytime. Is it something with the button layout?

bamboosam, not enough info provided.
All we know is 1284.
What IDE? What board type are you using for pin assignments?

1284p "Mighty 1284p 16MHz Optiboot"

I am using arduino to compile the script, then I use AVRstudio to program it

I have tried it with my PCB / smd 1284p and also with my DIP package on a breadboard. They both have the same issue

So that's like physical pin5 on the chip? The SPI default SS pin?
You don't have SPI enabled after you set the pin as an input, do you?
That would set it back to an Output as far as I know, and odd things could happen.

Hmm... My setup is running an led strip which the library to control it uses SPI, pins SCK and MOSI...

but yes physical pin 5

hmm... Ok so it still doesn't work even if I set is as OUTPUT.

If I just dont set it to anything it does work...lol

Read the data sheet - SS pin has to be set to Output for SPI operations when the device is the Master.
Set it to OUTPUT before SPI.begin() is called.
I've never seen problems when using it that way.

Works!!! XD Seriously CrossRoads if I could give you a hug I would! lol You have successfully helped me with every issue I have had during this crazy microcontroller roller coaster. For being totally kick ass, when this hoop is done I am giving you one, and I don't care if you hulahoop or not, you are going to have the world sickest most artistic well thought out just awesomenest lol hulahoop in the world.

Thanks for all the help man. And super fast response, I wanted to get this thing ready for a show tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/LED-Artistry/389983651023734 You are gonna rock one of these! lol

I look forward to it!
As for timeliness, sometimes you get lucky - I just happened to have a couple minutes between meetings and was poking around ...

I very much appreciate it, that would have taken me forever to figure out

You'll have to send me the camera settings you used for pictures too...

I used an older SLR cannon, and adjusted the shutter speed to 1.25... I am not sure as to what the 1.25 means.