Would this be possible?

Hello!

I have an idea that would be so awsome if it would be possible.

Please see attached image. What do I need to do to make that work?

/ TNDR

It is possible... but Arduino would only receive the text (or image in case of a graphic LCD) to show in the display. The processing of the image, and sending the image in some protocol the Arduino would understand, would have to be done by the host computer.

Oh! Okey... Don't know how to do that outside Arduino... Typical :drooling_face:

Maybe there's some app out there that already can do this?

More like

Image - Processing captures text from image - Sends text string to arduino - Arduino displays text string.

Going from an image to text is difficult, it is impossible for an arduino. You need to search for things like OCR (optical character recognition) but while this is available (ish) commercially I don't see any open source algorithms.
The best I could find is:-
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1181780779/3

Or you could use a graphic lcd (only slightly more expensive). Then, just convert the image on the PC to a bitmap and send over serial. The arduino can easily display this on the lcd.

You seem surprised that this requires code on the computer. How did you expect for the arduino to take a screenshot?

bilbo:
Or you could use a graphic lcd (only slightly more expensive). Then, just convert the image on the PC to a bitmap and send over serial. The arduino can easily display this on the lcd.

You seem surprised that this requires code on the computer. How did you expect for the arduino to take a screenshot?

Cool idea! That expands the idea. If there is a animation on the area that is convertered to bitmap. How fast could I update the bitmap-2-LCD so it wont "lag" too much? Know what I mean?

Naah, I'm not suprised...

Well why don't you work it out. You know what area you want so you can work out how many pixels there are. Then you have to transfer them down the serial port, work out how long that would take given the speed you want to use. Remember there might not be any synchronisation between the screen animation and your transfer so you might not always be transferring a complete frame.