Go Down

Topic: Wish-list and ideas (Read 15949 times) previous topic - next topic

denko666

i wish i wish,.... for Microduino boards to be added. This would make it an ideal setup for STEM workshops.

FunneeMan

RussellandSusan

Hello,

I've only just become aware of the web-based development environment. It feels a bit clunky but that's partly me not being familiar with it. I like the colour coding for the text.

Id like to see some form of Auto-complete added to the editor. Something along the lines of what I see when adding/editing formulas in Excel. A great addition would be something like the 'variables' etc being auto detected by the environment then automatically added to the Auto-complete list.

Just a thought anyway.

pert

I don't know about plans for the web editor but this has already been done for the standard Arduino IDE. You can try it out by downloading the beta version here:
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software#beta
you activate auto-complete by pressing Ctrl+Space.

Note that this is still in the testing phase so it's not guaranteed to be 100% ready for use. If you do try it out and encounter any problems please report them so the developers can make a fix.

ardii

It would be REALLY handy to be able to use 'Arduino as ISP' for programming pro-micros, etc.

Also the ability to burn a bootloader.

ballscrewbob

I will whole heartedly support Ardii's wish.

Consider this a +1

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

obligator

I needed to replace my Leonardo bord for connection issues that sometimes plague them, I got a seeeduino from adafruit because that is what they recomended.

I wish to add the support drivers. As I cannot do it my self.

https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/Signed_USB_Serial_Driver

Coding Badly

Post from @RussellandSusan (and @pert) merged.

bob8898

Please add the boards manager! Allow for custom boards!
ESP32 and ESP8266 would be awesome!!! Also, add a plugin version that can be used on raspberry pi. Allow for custom coloring over the editor would be nice... (Be able to set your own bg colors...)  Edit 2 files at once?  Mostly just the boards manager though... I would love to be able to use ESP board with the editor!

jcarrete5

Can there be an option to adjust the compiler flags before compiling and uploading the program. I'd like to be able to set debug macros before compiling my applications

just_a_guy

Would like to see support for the plug-in to run on an OS that can run on a Raspberry Pi 2 or later.

weberd

I see it already on the wish list, but as a STEM educator in a school moving to Chromebooks, having the serial plotter available on the web editor would be HUGE!  Graphical analysis of the data we collect with various sensors is a hugely important skill for my students at all grade levels.  Thanks for your continued support.

Zonker

Add my vote for either a Board Manager option, or add more of the Adafruit and other partner boards. I'm a fan of the desktop IDE, and the MS IDE App, but I'm exploring the web editor again. My current project is teaching a grade-9 class (13-14 yrs old) using Adafruit Adalloger M0 (for speed and memory and SD Card and battery reasons). It's been hard trying to get 30 machines set up consistently with the IDE and USB drivers needed because students don't have Admin credentials on the machines. I was hoping that the Web IDE could make this issue easier.

As I write this, I'm thinking that the web editor might not be able to help the USB Driver issues, but adding boards for other vendors might still invoke the need to add USB drivers for some non-Italy boards. It's probably a bigger problem than I see from my chair tonight.

Thanks for the efforts you put in, and for considering adding at least more boards...

Deanna

Hi!  I am a teacher, and I have been wanting to work with Arduino boards with my students for a little while, usually in the context of having my beginner-level computer science girls create a wearable to get them hooked into coding.  It seems that creating most wearables involves some complexity that is a bit above the knowledge and skills level that a young beginner would have during their very first-experience with coding.  It's been a bit of a pardox, because creating and coding wearables is a great hook as a first experience to get girls interested in learning about CS, but you have to know a little bit about CS or have someone mentoring you who does to be able to create your first wearable.  A couple of weeks ago, I I discovered Jewelbots, a  ready-to-go wearable that uses the Arduino IDE and masks any complexity that is normally involved in creating and coding a wearable!  After working with Jewelbots for the past week and a half and experiencing success with the with the Arduino IDE, I now am feeling confident enough to try more Arduino boards in the future!  I imagine that every Jewelbot user is probably gaining that same self-confidence and positive self-expectancy with Arduinos.  I would consider Jewelbots board as an Arduino "gateway board."  I would like to use Jewelbots with my beginner-level students to introduce them to coding and making with Arduino. However, right now, the Jewelbots board is not yet available on the Web Editor IDE, and I would like to request that it be added.  Adding the Jewelbots board on the Web Editor IDE would be most ideal for beginners because using the Web Editor IDE yet again masks the complexity that a beginner might experience downloading and configuring Arduino software. Also, students can easily then access the Arduino Web Editor IDE from both personal and school devices.  Being able to get started right away on the Web Based Arduino IDE means that the young users (and their parents and teachers like me) will immediately have a positive first experience with this Arduino "gateway" board, which builds confidence trying a more complex Arduino board in the future.  How may I go about requesting that the Jewelbots board be added to the Arduino Web Editor IDE so that I can use this with my students?  Thank you so much for any help that can be offered!

ballscrewbob

Feb 20, 2018, 02:16 pm Last Edit: Feb 20, 2018, 02:16 pm by ballscrewbob
@Deanna

I looked at this jewelbot.

A little disappointing it doesn't seem to be based on an existing MCU or mention the MCU type.
You might be better off looking at the GEMMA  as they are much more versatile sew-able and expandable.

They are also much better supported throughout the Arduino world and would let those girls with a little more imagination go a little further.
Given the scenario you laid out the GEMMA would be a much better fit and also fall within many curriculum in other terms of reference.

That last bit would allow you to see the more gifted girls easier. That makes a teachers job a lot easier too.
I find it hard to see it as a gateway board and much more of a toy, but thats just my opinion.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Go Up