Go Down

Topic: Re: How to serial print an array? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

NavyVet1959

The smoke to go for is the smoke of hairl;ine traces burning off cheap reject boards back before the PC clone boards arrived.

Go for smoke could be a hobbyist term for theater's "break a leg".

member A : I'm gonna see if that's the power pin.
member B: Go for smoke!

Back when I was an ET in the Navy, we would say that it was time to "smoke test it" after we had done some modifications / maintenance on a system.  Basically it meant to power it on and if smoke was generated, then it means that you did not fix the problem or you had screwed up in some other manner.  Either way, it was a bad situation when you consider that you might have a limited number of spare parts or that the nearest replacement could be thousands of miles away.  Sometimes, you would get a problem that would cause some other component to fail.  You did not know that there was a problem with the original component, but the second component failed spectacularly.  So, you would replace that second component and upon supplying power, it would fail again quite spectacularly, especially since you now might have the chassis open.  I remember once on a particular radar indicator where something was causing this PCB filled transformer to overheat.  The tar like substance that was in the transformer would get very liquid with the heat that was generated by the fault and then pop the overpressure plug.  At which point, this very warm low viscosity (because of the heat) would spray all throughout the unit and upon hitting the other components in the unit, it would solidify into basically tar.  Let's just say that this makes a very big mess on a large barrel switch.  We got a couple of cases of trichloroethane  from supply and proceeded to clean as much as we could.  We didn't know about the hazardous nature of that chemical back then, but we sure did end up breathing a lot of it while trying to clean up that unit. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,2-Trichloroethane

Those types of problems are most definitely NOT fun to debug...

NavyVet1959

One of yours?

A friend of mine was a contractor on a PA system for a large metro railway project.
As such, he was subject to railway health and safety legislation, with very strict rules on both alcohol and working hours.
No lunch-time drinks and no stupid all-nighters.

Nope, I had left NASA by that time and moved to greener ($$$) pastures... :)

The problem is not metric vs US measurement systems.  The problem is when one group thinks that one system in supposed to be used and another group thinks that another system should be used.

Our "all-nighters" were all work related.  You have a fixed resource that can be tested with on base and multiple teams needing access to it and they cannot share the systems during those times.  We had test platforms that were pretty close to these system back in our normal development labs, but they were EXACTLY the same and we were sharing them with other groups at the same time.  Eventually, we had to go on base and prove our code worked on a copy of the real system that was used during flight operations.  To do that, we had to schedule test times and sometimes the test times needed to be scheduled with other groups because we needed to prove that our various systems worked together correctly.  As such, you might get a test time from 22:00 to 04:00.  When you live an hour away, finishing up at 04:00 and doing the necessary post-test procedures meant that you would only have enough time to drive home, get cleaned up, change clothes, and drive back.  By sleeping in my office, I could get a couple of hours of sleep before going to the fitness center, getting cleaned up, and starting over.

GoForSmoke

I lived near a 1920's to present electric trolley system line where changed out PCB oil from transformer stations was used to kill the weeds along the track. We had a high cancer rate in families that gardened within a block of those tracks. 
1) http://gammon.com.au/blink  <-- tasking Arduino 1-2-3
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial <-- techniques howto
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts
Your sketch can sense ongoing process events in time.
Your sketch can make events to control it over time.

Go Up