sparkfun mp3 shield crash

Hi all,

I'm building my very first arduino project and what I want it to do is to use a potentiometer (attached to A5) to select mp3 tracks on a SD card using the sparkfun mp3 shield and play them back. I have the difficult stuff figured out (I think), I can get the audio to play, and I can even get the tracks to change a few times, but that is when it starts running into problems. I have the serial monitor running as well for debugging purposes and every time, after changing the tracks a few times either the serial monitor crashes and stops updating it's values, and the mp3 track keeps playing (but won't start a new track) or that both the serial monitor stops updating and the mp3 stops playing. The other odd thing it is doing is I have 5 mp3's it should be selecting, however it seems to be assigning tracks at random (i.e. sometimes when it should be selecting track 1 it actually plays track 3). I'm using a library provided by this guy Sparkfun MP3 Shield Arduino Library « The Mind of Bill Porter who has made my life a lot easier, but I'm not sure if something is messing up behind the scenes. I wouldn't know what to look for if it was. The code for the project is below. I've started using volatile Int's because I was hoping that was the problem. I'm not sure if they all need to be volatile. I've even commented out the serial monitoring in case that was causing a conflict somehow but that didn't help. The delay is in there for the same reason. Anyway, any help would be appreciated, it is probably something very obvious that I am missing. I've been teaching myself how to code so I'm sure there are holes in my education.

Thanks!

#include <SPI.h>
#include <SdFat.h>
#include <SdFatUtil.h> 
#include <SFEMP3Shield.h>

SFEMP3Shield MP3player;

int potPin = A5;

void setup (){

pinMode (potPin, INPUT);
  MP3player.begin();
  MP3player.SetVolume(1, 1);
  Serial.begin(9600);

}

boolean checkMovement (int oldPinValue){
  volatile int currentValue = analogRead(potPin);
  currentValue = constrain(currentValue, 0, 1000);
  volatile int val = map (currentValue, 0, 1000, 1, 5);
  if (oldPinValue == val){
  return(false);
  }
  else {
    MP3player.stopTrack();
    return(true);
  }
}

void loop (){
  volatile int tempPin = analogRead(potPin);
  volatile int pinValue = analogRead(potPin);
  pinValue = constrain (pinValue, 0, 1000);
  volatile int track = map (pinValue, 0, 1000, 1, 5);
  Serial.println(track);
  Serial.println(tempPin);
  delay(500);
  if (checkMovement (track) == false){
  }
  else {

MP3player.playTrack(track);
}

}

I had a similar issue. I can't get Bill's library to work after the most recent update.
I gave up and base my code on the Sparkfun example. I've got mine switching tracks from a pot, but only after the current track ends. Can't seem to stop the current track and start a new one on the fly.

The only time I use a volatile in is when I am using an interrupt.

Good luck.

I couldn't get Bill's library to work either.
But then i updated the SdFat library to the sdfatlib20120719, and it all worked!