Your opinion on piracy?

EVP:
While i agree that trials by jury do give the possibility of a greater degree of fairness i would say that taking the position of letting the state decide your own definition of whats right/just/fair to be dangerous. It is true that for the most part a lot of laws are in line with what most people feel to be right but to say you don't need to think about it because someone else is for you is nothing short of insane. It is the responsibly of each individual to to decide these things. Government don't always get things right. It brings to mind war crimes and the defense that you were only doing what you were told. Having said that that excuse does probably wash sadly in most of the western world.
You right people don't need to rely on anything mystical just there own brain.

I didn't say the state (which typically means government) defines right/wrong, but that the society (the people) does. The problems only occur when there is a discrepancy between the two. Ultimately, the people who live under a government are responsible for the actions of that government without regard to the form of government (democracy, republic, dictatorship, etc...)

This is the key to why I am so passionate about this issue. A large portion of my society feels it is just to steal someone else's property (software, music, etc...) for whatever reason... Unless that can be changed, I don't have much hope for the society in general. I think Locke was correct when he stated that the basic human rights are 'Life, Liberty, and Property' and Jefferson did a disservice in his paraphrasing of Locke.