connecting arduino to query local database..

hello there..
i m wrking on project which is basically an electronic toll collection booth which is RFID based;i m done with the RFID part bt nw i m stucked up with the database part of it;i want to connect arduino to query database(get balance nd stuff) which woul be on my laptop..if ur suggesting me to use Ethernet sheild and PHP..i have got a problem;my ISp does nt provide me with static ip address and i have only 1 connection so it wont b possible for me 2 cnnct my laptop and arduino at same tym..get me out of this problem guys..i desperately need ur help!!! $)

if ur suggesting me to use Ethernet sheild and PHP..i have got a problem;my ISp does nt provide me with static ip address and i have only 1 connection so it wont b possible for me 2 cnnct my laptop and arduino at same tym..get me out of this problem guys..i desperately need ur help!

You need an Ethernet shield. You also need a router. The one connection that the ISP provides gets connected to the router. Then, all the other devices - the Arduino, the laptop, the coffeemaker, the toaster, etc. get connected to the router. OK, maybe the coffeemaker and toaster don't.

The lack of a static IP address is not a problem. You can configure the router to assign the same address to the laptop every time, and to assign the same address to the Arduino every time.

The Arduino will only be talking to the laptop (specifically, to the httpd daemon on the laptop), so there is never a need to get past the router.

Even of there were, there are services that can update your domain name's IP address as your ISP provides new IPs to your router periodically. Of course, this means acquiring a domain name of your own, but that is neither hard nor terrible expensive. The services are free, generally (or very low cost).

thanks for the reply..it was really stupid for me to ask about tht 1 connection stuff..nywayz :*;
one more stupid doubt i have _ is there any otherway out for me..to connect directly to database;i dnt knw PHpmyadmin and stuff..and if not i m planning to buy a domain name soon bt is it nt pssbl for me to do this (client server implementation)locally on my machine?
and mst imp thing which ethernet sheild to go with(i mnt with POE or w/o POE)

ok let me make this more clear..i want to create a GUI(which will have upload button,check balance button and similar stuff)which i'll make using vb/c#, so whatever comes through serial port from arduino uno,to be specific..cant be stored directly to the database using some vb/c# function?
:fearful:

Yes, you could sent all the data over the serial port. C# can read from and write to the database (some more easily than others).