Where can I buy arduino friendly solenoid valves?

I found incredibly hard to find online stores which sell fluid related hardware. I'm designing a filling machine and I need solenoid valve to let me select between filling sources. I was wondering whether there exist pololu-like store for fluid related hardware but I could not find any. Suggestions?

There are plenty of shops that sell solenoid valves, most hardware/irrigation stores for example. But one big question is

"Do you have pressure?"

Because most solenoid valves need the water pressure to open.

Rob

What you need to look for is "appliance repair" - specifically dishwashers and refrigerators (ice maker/water dispenser); note, though, that these valves usually take mains power to activate. Also, such parts (new) are not cheap.

Another area to look into would be RV (caravan) or boat water supply parts - there are valves and such used on such vehicle's water supply (for like the sink, shower, and other areas) that are likely 12/24 VDC - but once again, they are unlikely to be cheap.

A final source would be to look into parts repair places for drink dispensers (soda and other dispensers like you see at fuel stations and fast-food places); these machines (especially ICEE style frozen-drink machines) have a ton of water and air valves and such in them; once again, expect to pay a bit of money for new parts.

Here's a reasonably priced valve if it fits your needs: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_169835_-1

Not sure if you're still looking, but http://www.mcmaster.com is probably the best-known online industrial supply store. They have plenty of solenoid valves (and every other kind of fluid system components).

Any solenoid or valve designed for water will certainly not be suitable for use with fuels... use them at your peril.

there are suppliers who sell suitable valves, but i am not sure of any off hand. i did have a couple of valves that are suitable for use with fuels and run on 12vdc which i was going to use for nitrous oxide injection, but i decided against using NOS on my engine so i passed them on to a friend. they were simply on-off valves which allowed the flow of fuel / nos when given a 12v feed, they were also a litle small for the job you have in mind, but there were other sizes available. have a look at :http://www.solenoidvalvesuk.com

any solenoid can be made to work with the arduino you just need to provide the correct transitor/mosfet/relay to handle the power requirements of the solenoid.

Solenoid valves are comprised of two primary parts, the solenoid part and the valve part. The solenoid part is pretty easy to select and interface with an arduino. It's just a matter of what the coil voltage (value?, AC?, DC?) and current requirements are, that will determine what interface components will be needed between the arduino and the solenoid coil.

The valve part on the other hand can be very tricky for proper selection. Values have fundamental specifications such as:

1. Flow capacity (Cv) at a given inlet pressure. The valve has to be sized for your application requirements.
  2. 'Wetted' components compatibility with the process media. Fuel safe, potable water safe, etc.
  3. Minimum inlet pressure for valve to properly work (many won't work well with just gravity feed inlet pressure).
  4. Maximum inlet pressure rating.
  5. Etc.

Lefty

We use a nice little unit from McMaster that requires almost no pressure to open, a couple of inches of water does it. Would help to know your flow and pressure requirements. We use gravity only.