Arduino Duemilanove trying to talk to an Arduino Mega....

This should be a simple one for anyone but me...

What I'm trying to do:
Send data from the Due to the Mega via Serial, and show that the data is moving by having the Due send a $ chr to turn an LED on the Mega on, then 2 seconds later, send a # chr to turn it off. LED is on Pin 8 of the Mega.

The problem:
This setup works, for the most part. It seems it is missing communication because the LED does not always toggle on, or off after 2 seconds. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Hardware:
Arduino Due Pin 0 (RX) TO Mega pin 1 (TX)
Arduino Due Pin 1 (TX) TO Mega pin 0 (RX)
Arduino Due GND to Mega GND

Arduino Due code:

void setup(){
Serial.begin(115200);
}

void loop(){

Serial.print("$");
delay(2000);
Serial.print('#');
delay(2000);
}

Arduino Mega code:

void setup(){

Serial.begin(115200);

pinMode(8, OUTPUT);
}

void loop(){
  delay(1);
  if(Serial.read() == '

Any thoughts?){
    delay(1);
digitalWrite(8, HIGH);

}
    delay(1);
  if(Serial.read() == '#'){
    delay(1);
digitalWrite(8, LOW);
delay(1);
    }
    delay(1);
}

Any thoughts?

In your if statements

if(Serial.read() == '

you read a character from the serial buffer (without checking if there is one available BTW) and consume it. If the sent '#' is read in the first if, the second if will not see it. Same the other way around. So read the character and then check it:

if (Serial.available()) {
  byte c = Serial.read();
  if (c == '

){

you read a character from the serial buffer (without checking if there is one available BTW) and consume it. If the sent '#' is read in the first if, the second if will not see it. Same the other way around. So read the character and then check it:

§DISCOURSE_HOISTED_CODE_1§

) {
    // do your stuff
  } else if (c == '#') {
    // do other stuff
  }
}

){

§DISCOURSE_HOISTED_CODE_1§

That did it! Thank you very much!!

Also I learned something new!