Gift for gf using Arduino

So I thought that I'd go ahead and exhibit my gross and overwhelming nerdiness to my girlfriend by building her a Christmas gift using the Arduino board . I'd like it to be something cute that she can keep in her room, a fixture/conversation piece of some sort. I thought about using a POV that will display hearts or something? and putting it inside of a bell jar. It has to be low maintenance of course and something that can run perpetually. Let me know if you have any ideas. They would be much appreciated.

t

a robot plushie with led display and moving limbs :3

ahhh yes. I really like the idea. In fact, I think I'll give it a shot. I have some basic ideas so far on the project, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to drive an LED matrix to display a heart. I found this matrix and I like it http://www.futurlec.com/LED/LEDMS88R.shtml

are there any documents floating around that describe how to do this with the arduino?

Thanks for the help.

T

The page has a good picture of how the led-matrix is hooked up internally.

Basically, if you apply power to column 1 and ground to row 5, then the led at coordinates 1,5 will light up.

What you need (and what I can't help you with because I am a n00b =P) is a multiplexer to get the 16 outputs you would need to set the entire display at once. Another thing you could try was using a counter (IC that gets pulses, and with each pulse "counts" through it's output pins) connected to the columns, and arduino outputs connected to the rows. Get this going fast enough and it would seem like a solid picture.

Anyways, could anyone help this fellow nerd with some multiplexing info for his rather "romantgeek" project? ^^

Hope to see pictures of your finished plushy! ^^

yes, thanks for all the advice. I've been reading about multiplexers and it's certainly a solution, but what are your thoughts on using a matrix with a serial interface? I've been looking at this one: SparkFun LED Matrix - Serial Interface (Red/Green) - COM-00759 - SparkFun Electronics
seems like that would make things a lot easier. I'll be sure to post pics when I get this done, and if I'm careful and thorough in my construction methods, I'll also post the patterns and any diagrams that would make this easier for anyone interested in a similar project.

t

Basically, if you apply power to column 1 and ground to row 5, then the led at coordinates 1,5 will light up.

I believe there's a problem with the system you described... what if I want to turn on (3,5) as well as (1, 7)?

I apply power at column 1 and column 3, and ground row 5 and row 7? won't that light up (1, 5) and (3, 7) too?

I believe there's a problem with the system you described... what if I want to turn on (3,5) as well as (1, 7)?

I apply power at column 1 and column 3, and ground row 5 and row 7? won't that light up (1, 5) and (3, 7) too?

Aah.. hum.. I guess you will have to cycle through the columns (vertical lines) one at a time, while turning on the right leds on each column by grounding the right horizontal lines.

F.ex. you might select col-1 then output 00000000 to the rows. col-2 00011000, col-3 00100100 and so on..

Develop the project on the arduino. I suggest something simple with less but brighter LEDs. How about a music box that lights up and twinkles when opened? Five LEDs are easy and there's an extra pin for a button to tell when the box is open.

Then get a barebones board from modern devices and wire that up. You will need a chip with a boot loader and you can program it with your arduino then put it into the bare board.

ewww, dont pay 45 bucks for an 8x8 matrix!

elexp has it for 8 bucks i believe, but you need to buy 20 bucks worth of stuff, so also buy servo motors that are around 10 bucks, and you can use the servo motors to move the limbs

heres the site to get the stuff, i love it, its awsome!

p.s, that site does not give you a shipping tracking number, and thats the only down side i can think of...

o yea, and shipping is like 9 bucks, kinda steep

The modernDevice LED matrix is much different than the usual 8x8 multiplexed LED display. In particular, it's NOT multiplexed, and uses high brightness LEDs, so it can be MUCH brighter than the usual matrix. You can buy the kit to save money... (OTOH, a cheap multiplexed display will be fine for a lot of purposes!)

Hows this going? :slight_smile: would love to see the end product :3

Hey thanks for all the help. Things are going well; I have the code written and the board wired up. the matrix displays a heart animation. I'll post a video when it's done. Not much time for these things when you're in school. :frowning: