Go Down

Topic: MIDI transmission over wifi with ESP8266 (Read 966 times) previous topic - next topic

Tony9992

Good evening at all.

I have a problem with sending midi via esp8266.
Using ESP directly, this is very easy to do, using the esp8266.h and AppleMidi.h libraries. But the problem is that now I can not load code on esp directly because I need a lot of analog and digital inputs. I have to use the arduino  connected to ESP.
Now what I do is create the midi but I need to send it through esp and here I do not know how to do it anymore.

Is there someone who can help me?

Thanks so much.

DVDdoug

What???

Using ESP directly, this is very easy to do, using the esp8266.h and AppleMidi.h libraries....

...I have to use the arduino  connected to ESP
What does "directly" mean?   The esp8266 doesn't work without the Arduino, does it?   Are you saying it works under software control, but you can't interface the hardware (analog & digital inputs)?

Do you have an Arduino on the transmitting-end and another on the receiving-end?

because I need a lot of analog and digital inputs.
Does it with regular wired MIDI?   ...It doesn't seem like your problem/question is related to the wireless connection.

..Are you having trouble converting your hardware inputs into MIDI messages?

Is this a MIDI instrument, or something like a control surface?   An instrument might  be tricky because a few too-many milliseconds of latency over the Wi-Fi connection will mess-up the musical timing.

PieterP

The esp8266 doesn't work without the Arduino, does it?
Of course it does.

Just program the ESP to receive MIDI packets from the UART, and send them over WiFi. Then program an Arduino to work as a MIDI controller that sends out MIDI messages over UART, and connect the two (remember level shifting).

Arduino MIDI Controller library

Pieter

gdsports

Alternatively, do everything with the ESP since you know how to send MIDI over RTP using the AppleMIDI library. To add additional digital and analog inputs use I2C port expanders such as MCP23017 (16 digital input/output) and MCP3008 (8 channel ADC).

Tony9992

Go Up