Arduino 101 timeout

Just recently purchased a Arduino board (101). Went through the steps for set up and everything looked good. When I try to upload the "blink" sketch per the example I end up getting the message "Timed out, waiting for Arduino board. I have change the cable and uninstalled/reinstalled the 1.6.7 and I get the same outcome. I am running Win10 on a Dell Laptop. All the setup steps are as would be expected until I try to upload. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

John

Turn on verbose output during upload in File > Preferences and then post the output you get here.

I turned on the verbose but I am not familiar with how to get it to the post. I turned on compilation also but don't know if that's necessary. The end result is the "Timed out waiting for the board??" I also tried a different USB port, no difference. Appreciate your help.

After you get the error message a Copy error messages button will appear on the right side of the orange bar above the black part of the Arduino IDE window.

• Click the Copy error messages button - this will copy the output to the clipboard.
  • Open this forum thread in your browser.
  • Click in the Quick Reply window.
  • Click on the </> icon - this will put the error output in code tags which makes it easier to read.
  • Press ctrl+v - this will paste the contents of the clipboard inside the code tags.
  • Click the Post button.
[code]
/*
  Blink
  Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

Most Arduinos have an on-board LED you can control. On the Uno and
  Leonardo, it is attached to digital pin 13. If you're unsure what
  pin the on-board LED is connected to on your Arduino model, check
  the documentation at http://www.arduino.cc

This example code is in the public domain.

modified 8 May 2014
  by Scott Fitzgerald
 */

// the setup function runs once when you press reset or power the board
void setup() {
  // initialize digital pin 13 as an output.
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop function runs over and over again forever
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
}

[/code]

Couple of problems there: That's your sketch, no the error output. I'm not sure how that got pasted instead. What we need is the text that is shown in the black part of the Arduino IDE window that will hopefully provide a clue as to why the timeout is ocurring. Another issue is you clicked the code tags button twice. Not a big deal but it's good to learn how to do this stuff right to make it easier for people here to help you.

There is no error message button that I can see. When I highlight the error message in the normal fashion and paste it, it only gives the explanation of what the software does. I know that is not what your looking for. I don't seem to be able to post the actual error message describing the 'timeout'.

No button like in the attachment?

There is no orange bar that comes up. I know what it looks like and it's not there. Is there a way to manually bring it up. This is all new to me so if I don't use frickin code tags I'm sorry.

Since the orange bar and button are not coming up I cannot make a copy. The problem seems to be that it "Cannot open FINDSTR". Apparently after it tries this for a period of time it then times out.

mm, that's weird... Orange bar and error go hand in hand... But alternatively you can select the error and ctrl+c it to copy it.

Serial Port PORT
BIN FILE /tmp/build83cf0ec9b18a3d55514753ff48306697.tmp/Blink.ino.bin
wating for Arduino 101 device...
ERROR: Timed out waiting for Arduino 101.

Is that the output you get?
Because that is a trouble I have been dealing with as well. In my case, it helped to press the (MASTER) RESET-Button on the board as soon as "waiting for arduino 101 device..." is visible.

This is the error message I was able to copy.

starting download script
Args to shell: C:\Users\John Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/x86/bin C:\Users\JOHNSC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp/Blink.ino.elf COM3 quiet
Serial Port PORT
BIN FILE C:\Users\JOHNSC~1\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp/Blink.ino.bin
Waiting for device... 
C:\Users\John Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/clupload/cluploadArduino101_win.sh: line 36: $tmp_dfu_output: ambiguous redirect
FINDSTR: Cannot open C:\Users\John
FINDSTR: Cannot open Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/x86/bin\..\..\.tmp_dfu_output
C:\Users\John Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/clupload/cluploadArduino101_win.sh: line 41: C:/Users/John: No such file or directory
C:\Users\John Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/clupload/cluploadArduino101_win.sh: line 42: $tmp_dfu_output: ambiguous redirect
FINDSTR: Cannot open Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/x86/bin\..\..\.tmp_dfu_output
C:\Users\John Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/clupload/cluploadArduino101_win.sh: line 41: C:/Users/John: No such file or directory
C:\Users\John Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/clupload/cluploadArduino101_win.sh: line 42: $tmp_dfu_output: ambiguous redirect
ERROR: Timed out waiting for Arduino 101.

Great! As I suspected, the problem is a bug caused the space in your username. The bug has been fixed but they haven't released a new version of the board package with the fix yet so you will need to manually fix the problem by replacing C:\Users\John Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/clupload/cluploadArduino101_win.sh with the fixed script. I successfully helped 2 other people with this problem by suggesting they replace it with this version: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/01org/intel-arduino-tools/8c8eba5871dc1df40f8542bc8631b9dd3a11bb8f/clupload/cluploadArduino101_win.sh which has the change to address this issue. There have been a couple more changes since then and this is the most recent version: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/01org/intel-arduino-tools/windows/clupload/cluploadArduino101_win.sh but another person with your issue that I tried to help by recommending that one encountered some errors so it might be better to use the first version? I don't have a 101 or a space in my user name so I can't test it.

I really appreciate your help Pert. I didn't think I would have a problem making the change but as I got into it I realized that was not the case. First of all I can't find the file where the change has to be made. Second I'm not sure what all to replace it with. The link gives me a lot of coding, do I just cut and paste that in? I'm about to put it in the drawer and chalk it up to another project gone south. As a ham I've been there before.

Mudge:
Second I'm not sure what all to replace it with. The link gives me a lot of coding, do I just cut and paste that in?

Here's the easiest way:

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Mudge:
I'm about to put it in the drawer and chalk it up to another project gone south. As a ham I've been there before.

I'm happy to help you more with figuring out how to make the fix. I know it's a bit of a hassle. If you do decide that you don't want to do the fix manually then don't worry too much, you only have to wait until Intel gets around to releasing the new Intel Curie Boards package which will have the problem solved. You'll get a notification in the Arduino IDE that there is a new version available and then you just need to use Boards Manager to update. Hopefully they'll do it soon because there are quite a few people with the same problem as you. The other option would be to create another user on your computer(or change your user name) with no space, it should work fine with the current package version then.

Pert, latest update:

This is what I see in the file after copying the link.

cluploadArduino101_win.sh SH File
cluploadArduino101_win.sh Text File This is the one from today that I just did.
cluploadEdison_win.sh SH File
cluploadGalileo_win.sh SH File

Should I delete the old files? Does this mean anything to you?

Are you saying that's the contents of the C:\Users\John Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14\clupload folder? How can there be 2 copies of the cluploadArduino101_win.sh file? I wonder it the one from today was named something like cluploadArduino101_win.sh.txt somehow and you have Windows explorer set to hide known extension types(Tools > Folder Options > View > Hide Extensions For Know File Types(checked))? If so try temporarily unchecking that option and see if that's the case. If so, delete the old cluploadArduino101_win.sh and rename the new one to cluploadArduino101_win.sh. The other two files can stay, they aren't used for the 101.

Yes, the total content of that file. Now I went ahead and unchecked the box in the folder options. I tried thek upload and it did not make any difference, same timeout error I sent to you. I went in and deleted the old .sh file and renamed the new one. The following is the new error message:

Starting download script...
C:\Users\John Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/clupload/cluploadArduino101_win.sh: line 53: C:\/Users\/John Scheuer\/AppData\/Local\/Arduino15\/packages\/Intel\/tools\/sketchUploader\/1.6.4+1.14/x86/bin/dfu-util.exe -d,8087:0ABA: No such file or directory
C:\Users\John Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/clupload/cluploadArduino101_win.sh: line 59: C:\/Users\/John Scheuer\/AppData\/Local\/Arduino15\/packages\/Intel\/tools\/sketchUploader\/1.6.4+1.14/x86/bin/dfu-util.exe -d,8087:0ABA: No such file or directory
C:\Users\John Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/clupload/cluploadArduino101_win.sh: line 59: C:\/Users\/John Scheuer\/AppData\/Local\/Arduino15\/packages\/Intel\/tools\/sketchUploader\/1.6.4+1.14/x86/bin/dfu-util.exe -d,8087:0ABA: No such file or directory
ERROR: Timed out waiting for Arduino 101 on COM3

This means nothing to me.

Just to let you know my wife and I are going out this afternoon so if I don't get back for awhile that's the reason. Won't be leaving until noon EST.

Does the file C:\Users\John Scheuer\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\sketchUploader\1.6.4+1.14/x86/bin/dfu-util.exe exist on your computer?