FTDI problems

I recently purchased a DFRobot FTDI board to program my Ardweeny, I am getting the

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

error message, I have updated my drivers with the same problem. When I upload or try to upload a sketch the TX light on the FTDI board will flicker a few times, then a few seconds later I get another flicker then the error message pops up. The LED on the Ardweeny flickers as well initially, now I can plug the ardweeny into my uno and program it without issue this is only with the FTDI. Now if I hold the FTDI board so the dimple is in the top right corner I do notice that there are two pins soldered together. With that orientation the two pins soldered together would be the 3rd and 4th pin in from the bottom right is this a mistake or correct from the factory? I have also tried 3 ardweeny's with the same results both being able to be programmed via my uno and having the issue with the FTDI. I have done lots of internet searching and everything I have found is the same issue with no resolution. You guys know the magic solution?

This one?

None of the 6 header pins should be shorted together.

maxxheadroom:
Now if I hold the FTDI board so the dimple is in the top right corner I do notice that there are two pins soldered together. With that orientation the two pins soldered together would be the 3rd and 4th pin in from the bottom right is this a mistake or correct from the factory

That is the most complicated way I have heard to count pins.

The dimple marks Pin 1. Pins are counted down that side and back up the other. So if it is a 24 pin package the two pins on top are 1 and 24. The two on the bottom are 11 and 12.

This is a standard way for IC pins to be numbered.

Are you saying Pins 3 and 4 are shorted together or 18 and 19?

You can also look at the datasheet for the FT232RL. You'll see a couple of the pins around package can be shorted together.

Is that what was being described?
Check the schematic

28 pin device, pins 25/26 would be 3rd & 4th pin down from the corner opposite of pin 1 where the dimple is. Both are grounded.

maxxheadroom:
With that orientation the two pins soldered together would be the 3rd and 4th pin in from the bottom right is this a mistake or correct from the factory?

Those are both ground pins, so having them shorted is just fine.

As for the error message you're getting, the only time I get those is when I don't have a proper connection to the device, from the cable. So make sure you have the proper pins broken out, you need, in order:
DTR connected through a 0.1uF capacitor to RESET, TX (this is the device's TX!), RX (this is the device's RX!), VCC (5V), and the remaining two pins are both grounded.

If you don't have the capacitor on the DTR line, it will never reset the device. If for any reason you have a bad connection on the rest, well, weird things happen.

CrossRoads:
This one?
Fermion: FTDI FT232RL Basic Breakout 3.3/5V (Arduino Compatible) - DFRobot

None of the 6 header pins should be shorted together.

this is in fact the FTDI that I have, the Ardweeny has header pins that this guy should plug directly into the board powers up fine (led running the blink sketch which comes preloaded on it. I have reloaded the FTDI drivers, tried a different USB with the same results. Also I am running Windows XP. I am at a loss here.

I think I just figured it out, it appears the RX and TX are swapped on the DFRobotics break out board compared to the Ardweeny... Now I gotta figure out how to deal with that.

Swapped are easy - use some terminated wires & 6-pin crimp connector housings from pololu.com to make an adapter cable like this

Well I pulled the two header pins then soldered in some jumper wires to see if that was the issue and it was not #&!*#( I am at a loss at this point not a clue.

When you do the loopback test, does that work?
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,73748.0.html