Dialog boxes help

Hi all,
i am starting a project that is actually for someone else who doesn't understand 'C' and doesn't want to. So i was wondering if there is a way to have dialog boxes pop up for them, so all they have to do is enter a figure, ect; and the program will run accordingly.

I would greatly appreciate any help :slight_smile:

Can you be clearer?

and the program will run accordingly

What "program"? What is it meant to do?

What does not understanding C have to do with entering numbers?
My mother doesn't understand C, but can still enter numbers into apps.

What are you trying to do?

The program is hopefully going to control a stepper motor.
My friend (the one who doesn't know C) would like the program to be such that when he opens it a window will appear and ask him how many steps he wants it to move or if he wants it to go into jogbox mode.

I think you probably want to look at Processing, which is great for your friend, because that's Java-based, not C/C++.

Doesn't Processing involve similar coding though?

Yes, its similar. Someone has to write something to sit on the PC. Provided it can write to the serial port, it doesn't really matter what language is used.

So how will it be any easier?

Who said it would be easier?
It will be different, and if you don't like C, there are lots of other languages you could run on the PC.
You've got to do the heavy-lifting of the UI on a PC, because the Arduino doesn't have dialogue boxes.

Thanks for the help,
i'll experiment with Processing, but just in case is there any other similar software that you know also has dialog boxes?

Being pedantic, you want an windowed application, not a dialog box.

Microsoft's Visual languages will do the job, as will Delphi/Free Pascal, RealBasic, and many others that I can't recall right now.

Thanks,
i will have a look at some of those and see if i can find what i want! :slight_smile:

DLGuest:
Hi all,
i am starting a project that is actually for someone else who doesn't understand 'C' and doesn't want to. So i was wondering if there is a way to have dialog boxes pop up for them, so all they have to do is enter a figure, ect; and the program will run accordingly.

I would greatly appreciate any help :slight_smile:

If the Arduino was connected to a Windows PC you could use Gobetwino to launch a Windows application that popped up a dialog. That could be implemented in C/C++, HTML, Processing or whatever else you want.

If you preferred, you could eliminate Gobetwino and have your Windows application monitor the serial port directly.