New kid on the block -rant / vent

I have this basic understanding why Arduino exists - to show kindergarten "aged" aspiring computer geeks how to blink LED without ever opening any book or RTFM on anything related to such task. Fine.

It's a free world , but with notable exceptions of few forum participants bent on posting nagging comments on "newbie " FIRST post.
I have been told that I should quit posting if I cannot post "properly" formatted posts - especially without using code tags.
I see the issue another way , of course, - I am NOT using IDE - I am a "guess" on PC and have no desire or means to install Arduino IDE.

But the real issue - I have explained my limited access as "guest" - both directly and indirectly and came to conclusion that some folks just do not know how to read.
Of course I cannot tell them that...

Would this group/ forum like to share their "favorite" stupid , space and time occupying posts?

Mine is - why are you using italic? Post of great value / contribution to technical discussion, right?

232:
Mine is - why are you using italic? Post of great value / contribution to technical discussion, right?

And mine is ...

Don't you proof read your Posts after posting them and correct them when, for example, the code appears as italics?

Refusing to use the normal tools that are available on the Forum to make it easy for people to help you is just being a PITA on purpose.

...R

Robin2:
And mine is ...

Don't you proof read your Posts after posting them and correct them when, for example, the code appears as italics?

Obviously not.
That is one of the reasons why we insist on code tags. They avoid that problem.
There's no need to be using the IDE to insert code tags. The "</>" icon is top left in the posting window.

So which is better then? Should I do like I do now and tell the poster to fix the code so it is readable and not in italics, so I can see where he's used an array index right or wrong.

Or should I just not say anything because some other jerk doesn't get how it is helpful. I'll say nothing and since nobody can see the real problem nobody answers and the poor poster is left to just wonder why nobody helps them.

Now which is actually more helpful to the poster? I'm sorry if it makes them feel dumb. Maybe they should feel dumb for not paying attention. I don't concern myself too much with their feelings. I just try to help with their code. If their feelings get hurt I link them to Dr. Phil. He is a lot better with feeling than I am. Though I'm sure I'm better at code.

Delta_G:
So which is better then? Should I do like I do now and tell the poster to fix the code so it is readable and not in italics, so I can see where he's used an array index right or wrong.

Or should I just not say anything because some other jerk doesn't get how it is helpful. I'll say nothing and since nobody can see the real problem nobody answers and the poor poster is left to just wonder why nobody helps them.

Now which is actually more helpful to the poster? I'm sorry if it makes them feel dumb. Maybe they should feel dumb for not paying attention. I don't concern myself too much with their feelings. I just try to help with their code. If their feelings get hurt I link them to Dr. Phil. He is a lot better with feeling than I am. Though I'm sure I'm better at code.

In this case, I believe that the OP newbie is the 'some other jerk'.

And he posted the same rant on other parts of the forum.

Paul

Henry_Best:
Obviously not.
That is one of the reasons why we insist on code tags. They avoid that problem.
There's no need to be using the IDE to insert code tags. The "</>" icon is top left in the posting window.

Good point - unless I use use Quick reply.

After this flaming I'll probably exit - using "War games" solution.

If you want to learn to code (which is what this is really about), then it'll be easy for you to do that manually without the need of the extended edit screen (or whatever it may be called).
You just use the code tags like this:

[code] [/code]

Put your code in between of those two tags, and you're done.

Speaking of learning to read:
This has been mentioned in about every second thread over here (a wee bit exaggerated).

Would this group/ forum like to share their "favorite" stupid , space and time occupying posts?

Here's a candidate

(I can't believe they wasted five minutes posting that, and it doesn't even count towards their post count, so they remain a noob even longer)

I have this basic understanding why Arduino exists - to show kindergarten "aged" aspiring computer geeks how to blink LED without ever opening any book or RTFM on anything related to such task. Fine.

It's a free world , but with notable exceptions of few forum participants bent on posting nagging comments on "newbie " FIRST post.
I have been told that I should quit posting if I cannot post "properly" formatted posts - especially without using code tags.
I see the issue another way , of course, - I am NOT using IDE - I am a "guess" on PC and have no desire or means to install Arduino IDE.

But the real issue - I have explained my limited access as "guest" - both directly and indirectly and came to conclusion that some folks just do not know how to read.
Of course I cannot tell them that...

232:
I have this basic understanding why Arduino exists - to show kindergarten "aged" aspiring computer geeks...

Nope. Your basic understanding is wrong.

This Thread brings to mind a distant memory of some TV program with an audience and some fool in the audience tried to heckle the panel.

But the guys on the panel were stand-up comedians. Guess how it went :slight_smile:

...R

232:
I have this basic understanding why Arduino exists - to show kindergarten "aged" aspiring computer geeks how to ...

"Aged" probably, "Kindergarten" probably not

ardly:
"Aged" probably, "Kindergarten" probably not

Maturity level / chronological age has never been part of the mandate.

My birth certificate will show that I am nearly 66 but in reality I am only about 26 - and getting younger every day. :slight_smile:

...R

Robin2:
My birth certificate will show that I am nearly 66 but in reality I am only about 26 - and getting younger every day. :slight_smile:

...R

When I was 6yo my brother was half my age, 3yo.
Now I'm 61yo and he is 58yo, (58/61)*100 = 95% of my age.
Another couple of years and he will be older than me.. :o :o :o

TomGeorge:
When I was 6yo my brother was half my age, 3yo.
Now I'm 61yo and he is 58yo, (58/61)*100 = 95% of my age.
Another couple of years and he will be older than me.. :o :o :o

That would mean a sad day has passed ...

(I thought you still were 6 :wink:

robtillaart:
That would mean a sad day has passed ...

(I thought you still were 6 :wink:

Ohh, I'll take my cricket bat and ball and go home if you are going to be like that!.. :slight_smile:
"Mummmm, rob is picking on meee..."