avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Hi,

this is my environment:

• Arduino UNO
  • MAC OSX 10.7.3

I upload sketches without problems until their sizes are under a threshold. As soon as they get bigger (about 28742 bytes) I get this error:

during the upload.

This is the upload log:

avrdude: Recv: . [14] 
avrdude: Recv: . [10] 
avrdude: Send: d [64] . [00] F [46] F [46] . [0f] Y [59] . [0f] . [db] . [10] . [bf] . [10] 0 [30] . [10] O [4f] . [10] + [2b] . [10] . [c0] . [0f] . [a0] . [0f] $ [24] . [0f] , [2c] . [0f] = [3d] . [0f] . [00] . [00] . [00] . [00] z [7a] . [15] 7 [37] . [16] . [92] . [15] . [dd] . [15] . [fb] . [15] . [d5] . [15] . [00] . [00] . [00] . [00] k [6b] # [23] . [ed] 3 [33] . [00] . [00] . [00] . [00] . [de] 2 [32] . [ed] 3 [33] r [72] 2 [32] . [a3] 2 [32] . [83] 2 [32] . [cc] 2 [32] . [00] . [00] . [00] . [00] . [85] 3 [33] . [00]   [20] 
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding

If I remove one or two lines from the sketch it uploads and runs ok.

I have tryed to upload the sketches from Windows 7 with the same result.

I searched the forum but it seems that noone has the same problem.

Can anyone help me ?

Thank you.

Fab.

It sounds like you have an older UNO that had the older version of the bootloader. The older bootloader was larger than the current version and did not leave as much space for program code.

You can update to the current UNO bootloader firmware that is included in the Arduino 1.0 package.

Post back if you need more detailed information about burning a new bootloader or the location of the bootloader firmware files.

HI Louis,

thank you for your prompt answer.

Yes, please, give me basic directions for burning the new bootloader.

Thank you.

Fab.

Do you have access to another Arduino that you can use as a programmer or do you have an AVR programmer?

I do not have neither.
Do I have to buy a new Arduino ?
Is there any way to check the bootloader size and/or its version

If you don't have either, then there is still a way to do this, but it's more of a "some assembly required" approach, and you may need a spare ATMega chip on hand*. You will need a solder-less breadboard for this, though.

There are full instructions here: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP
Look at the bottom under the heading "Circuit (targeting an AVR on a breadboard)"**

*I'm not 100% sure a spare ATMega is needed, and you can use the Ardunio as an ISP without one installed. I doubt it's the case.
**The method will work with the Uno board, and there are instructions for older boards too, if you have one.