Arduino Due (released Oct 22, 2012) Compatibility

MichaelMeissner:

retrolefty:
My fear is that too many begineers will choose a Due over a Uno based on their possible future requirements rather then picking the best board for their entry into this hobby. The experts will already know how to select the best board for each specific project or application, but too many begineers will 'over buy' based on the wrong reasons.

Lefty

I dunno, that assumes you expect people to have a different processor for each project. I suspect a lot of hobbyists are like me, and only have a few processors (or just one), and then builds things to get a specific action and then tears it down, and goes on to the next project. For example, on the UNO, I've bought several proto-shields so that I could keep the stuff wired up, but switch to the next project.

I see a lot of posts about people wanting to do video and audio on their embedded systems, so I don't think it is something you need to run an OS for. I certainly have projects I want to do that involve video that are hard to do with Arduinos, and I'm certainly thinking that the Arms I just bought (teeny 3.0, radioblock, raspberry pi) might fill the bill.

Also, it sounds rather like the 'old' timers that complain about newbies having it so easy, and that everybody should go through the steps they did. I started programming on IBM punch cards, but I don't expect kids starting out these days to go back to cards.

Ok, but lets focus a bit. What would be your recommendation to a newbie to the hobby (with little or no electronics or software experiance) as to which would be their best choice to enter the arduino world once the Due is in fact avalible. I vote Uno, you vote ?

Lefty