Is there any Open Source software for making a Window's Installer for hex files?

I'm working on a project that uses a Atmega328p with the bootloader installed. The board doesn't have a USB/TTL converter IC but does have the connectors available to plug in an external FTDI cable for uploading sketches.

The device will probably be used by people that have no programming experience and don't/won't want to install the IDE. So I was wondering if there's any open source software out there that I could bundle a sketch/hex file into an executable that they could just use to program the chip. I want to be able to provide custom sketch's to people and make it as simple as possible for them.

wayneft:
I'm working on a project that uses a Atmega328p with the bootloader installed. The board doesn't have a USB/TTL converter IC but does have the connectors available to plug in an external FTDI cable for uploading sketches.

The device will probably be used by people that have no programming experience and don't/won't want to install the IDE. So I was wondering if there's any open source software out there that I could bundle a sketch/hex file into an executable that they could just use to program the chip. I want to be able to provide custom sketch's to people and make it as simple as possible for them.

I haven't seen one yet. I have seen a couple of windows GUI front ends for AVRDUDE that allows simple selection of hex files and uploading. I would think what you are asking for would be a very useful tool and surprise someone hasn't offered up one. Wish I was a stronger programmer or I would take a stab at it. Out of curiosity the first hurdle I would have difficult with is to figure out which comm port that an attached arduino might be plugged into? What if there are more then one arduinos plugged into the PC? I know those are just details. :wink:

Lefty

Sorry I don't have an idea for that kind of program, but about the comm ports an idea would be to have like a program mode button or switch, that when it recieves a certain command over serial, responds with an identifier
then the program can brute find the port by sending the command to every comm port and listening for that response, I did it with processing quite easily, because I had the problem of wanting to communicate with my uno and/or mega which were on different comms without changing code
Im not sure how avrdude works but maybe you can replicate it with processing? Assuming a precompiled hex file, then you can export a windows executable that can be run, with an easy gui that you can design
just an idea

retrolefty:
I have seen a couple of windows GUI front ends for AVRDUDE that allows simple selection of hex files and uploading.

Wouldn't that be part of what the OP needs? The other part would be rolling the GUI and hex files into a windows installer file, of which there are numerous examples.

Could be, the one I use still requires the user to know which comm port, which processor type, etc. I would think a true auto install windows arduino sketch loader would just emulate the serial protocol that the arduino bootloader uses (varies with chip type so that adds another problem). Here is what the one I use looks like:

Well any links you all have feel free to pass them my way. Maybe I can piece something together. Thanks.