Open source Project / Hardware

Hi folks,
here's just my personal view of the whole thing:
For me hardware is considered to be open source, when there is a publicly available schematic, and the whole thing uses only electronic components that are freely available (i.e. no vendor specific GAL's or EPROM's needed).

If I had to make a living of the project (or at least want to achieve a return of the expenses I have) I would not give out the production files for the pcbs. Assuming the arduino-hardware is just there,on your desktop, I guess nobody will stop you from coping it. It just takes some effort.

Ok, what about this idea:
I write some cute application and sell it for money. I also open-source the code in a BOOK !??. I would consider this open source software.
But other people might complain : Why isn't the code available as a download, do expect me to type the whole book into the editor myself ???

Now I'll get a bit OffTopic but here is the actual reason why I made this reply:

Made In Italy
Note [from massimo]:We stress the fact that all the boards are made in italy because in this globalised world, were getting the lowest possible price for products sometimes translates into poor pay and working conditions for the people who make them, at least you know that who made your board was reasonably paid and worked in a safe environment.

I am very happy that I can buy a product from people who care about these things.

Give out the gerberfiles and you have some chinese company selling PCB's for much lower $'s just because they:
don't give a sh*t about environmental issuses;
throw people into jail if they complain about being intoxicated by the PCB-production-site;
pay their workers 40 cent's an hour and let them slave for 72 hours a week;

No thank you! Keep you production files secret !
But thanks for the schematics and the whole arduino-universe !!

Eberhard Fahle