Very precise servo motors

I am building a pan-and-tilt head for a photography project. I actually already built it using hobby servos that are available from Adafruit and Sparkplug. However, those motors are not very precise - if I try to move the head in increments less than about 10 degrees, nothing happens. Could someone recommend servo motors that would work with Arduino that would allow me to move them 1 degree at a time?

try search in servocity http://www.servocity.com/ maybe they have some that you like....

From tinkering it appears that standard servos are capable of unloaded 1 deg positioning. A cam that is not very heavy might be able to use a simple pan/tilt setup. Cams that have some weight need a pan/tilt mount that is balanced and low friction such that the servo does not have to provide a holding force, but only a movement force.

You can use a stepper + an optical encoder (5000 line encoders are fairly reasonable in prices), aka a real servo.

I know it is getting more expensive but... You could got to a real Servo Motor or Stepper Motor driven head. Hobby servos work well with light loads, or you can go for an expensive RETRACT servo, but a stepper or servo motor will give you more motion options. Balancing is still an important consideration. The only problem with balancing is that you are adding more mass and the hobby servo will have to deal with making that greater mass move. More Acceleration forces.

Actually how do i know how much weight a motor can support?
For example, a normal high end DSLR + lens would be around 1.5kg.
How to relate the motor spec with this weight?

ghiblipg:
Actually how do i know how much weight a motor can support?
For example, a normal high end DSLR + lens would be around 1.5kg.
How to relate the motor spec with this weight?

Depends on how you build your rotating platform. If the platform is well designed with good bearings and no holding load on the servo, a very small servo could rotate it. You need to do some research in the mechanical design area for your device.