10 Amp motor speed and direction regulation

Hi, i want to control my RC car with arduino, so I need to control motor's speed and direction. Because motor draws about 10 Amps, I cannot use H-Bridge. Is there any easy way to do this?

H-bridges made of discrete components can handle a lot of current.

Your RC car should have an H-bridge in it already. Cannibalize that.

H-bridges at that current level are available, just a little pricey and possible larger then will fit in your car. If you don't need reverse for the car then speed control can be simple and inexpensive using a logic level mosfet transistor of suitable voltage and current rating and driving it with a arduino pwm output pin. It's not known to us how your car presently controls it's motor speed and if it could be modified for Arduino control or not.

Lefty

Even if you do need reverse, its just three more FETs to get an H-bridge. 10-20A FETs can be found for 0.50-1.00$

10A+ DPDT relays will reverse direction (occasionally and not quickly; probably fine for fwd/reverse.) It's probably a toss-up whether that would work out cheaper than a "real" H-bridge...

10A+ DPDT relays will reverse direction (occasionally and not quickly; probably fine for fwd/reverse.) It's probably a toss-up whether that would work out cheaper than a "real" H-bridge...

You could control forward and reverse that way, but without adding an extra relay, you couldn't control on/off! So, it would be better to use a couple of SPDT relays instead of a single DPDT...

You wouldn't have PWM control, but you might be able to put on the low side a power FET or transistor, and PWM that, and switch direction with the relays; the whole thing could probably be done under $15.00 USD...

I have completed that using tamyia TEU-101BK controller, which is just 4 MOSFETs and it even supports PWM. It is a little bit expensive (30$), but I have it from RC car I am hacking, so why not?

I have completed that using tamyia TEU-101BK controller, which is just 4 MOSFETs and it even supports PWM. It is a little bit expensive (30$), but I have it from RC car I am hacking, so why not?

Well, ok - but why did you post here to begin with if you are just using the controller it came with (as mspguy noted)?

:-?

I meant that a DPDT relay would add "reverse" to a conventional single-direction speed controller...

I meant that a DPDT relay would add "reverse" to a conventional single-direction speed controller...

Ah - gotcha...

:wink: