Measure High current

Dear all,

I am trying to build application to measure current 15A-20A @1000v. I have build circuit with hall sensor and interface with arduino UNO using mux circuit.

Now i am trying to build circuit on shunt basis .if anyone here can put suggestion to take care during building circuit will be appreciable.

There are extreme dangers associated with what you intend since your measurement circuit is always attached electrically to the 1000v supply and the only advice I could give is AVOID doing so. It matters little whether your supply is AC or DC, the potential is equally as dangerous.

Assuming one side of your 1000v supply is "grounded", the shunt should be on the grounded side of the supply to minimise the potential that your measurement system could rise to. But if the supply polarity should be accidentally reversed, even momentarily then your measuring device voltage becomes lethal. Similarly if the ground connection of your supply should become open circuit due to a wiring or operating fault, the measurement connection potential could rise to a lethal value.

If your 1000v supply is "floating' ie not connected to ground, (a common practice on DC systems) then both positive and negative terminals should run at about 500v with reference to ground, so again lethal. If a ground fault develops the measuring side could be at either 0V or 1000v, it all depends on which pole develops the ground fault.

If you are already happy using hall sensors then stick with them. There are no prizes for winning the Darwinian medal of natural selection. ( The process whereby those who endeavour to kill themselves by doing idiotic things manage to do so before they get a chance to breed the next generation of like minded individuals)

High voltage and shunt sensing do not go together. Isolated hall sensor or a
current-transformer (CT) is needed, but CT's only work for AC.

The only way to do high tension shunt sensing is to have an entire isolated circuit
floating with the shunt (incluing its own isolated power supply) which then transmits the
value via optic fibre, opto isolator or wirelessly.

[ BTW high current at 1000V will kill, no second chances. ]

Is it possible to measure current using shunt resistor . Like used in clamp meter .

Its equivalent of string monitor in solar.

AMPS-N:
Is it possible to measure current using shunt resistor . Like used in clamp meter .

Well, clearly a clamp meter is not a current shunt.

You originally specified you were using a Hall sensor. That is the correct way to do it (and is precisely how a DC clamp meter works in any case), there is no need to do it any other way.

Do you have to measure at the high end (1000 volts)
Is it possible to measure at low end (0 volt)

I think it's same current going around the circuit.

Pelle

Measuring the drop across a series resistor in the ground leg of a power supply is perfectly do-able but not really advisable unless you have a means of sensing the voltage at the high side of the sense resistor to detect an open condition or all the electronics are TOTALLY isolated from everything AND I DO MEAN EVERYTHING else connected to that node....
IMO a lot of extra crap to emulate the inherent isolation provided by a hall effect device.... Safety is NEVER, NEVER a place to try to save a dollar or "Simplify" a design.
You have been advised of how to do the task 'correctly' the obvious way, Twice...
What is the underlying issue that keeps you asking about how to do something inherently VERY Dangerous.
Were your engineering skills at the same level as your 'apparent' coding skills you would know this and not ask a useless question.
1A @ 1KV is 1 KW... this is a NON TRIVIAL current and voltage and 'accidents or parts/construction failures are generally LETHAL to both the equipment and the operator.
The answer to your question about ground sensing of DC current is perfectly valid... However after 40+ years of engineering experience, Something I would NOT attempt to do... simply because the safety devices added to limit the available fault voltage are subject to failure from the conditions imposed by the measurement techniques... OR.. Are of a nature as to degrade the available accuracy... NOT under ANY circumstances a 'wise' choice

Doc

I am trying to build application to measure current 15A-20A @1000v.

You will kill yourself or someone else.
Leave this to the experts!

Hi, can you tell us what the project is going to be used on please.
There may be an easier way to do it, and I'm worried that 20A x 1000V = 20kW!

Tom...... :slight_smile:

is there a dc clamp meter that just "plugs" into arduino.. if so can someone point the way .. id like to look at it i may need a few. im trying to measure 200A@12VDC ... just not with a shunt. (becasue i dont know how to safly hook a shunt to an arduino yet... lol)

tbillion:
is there a dc clamp meter that just "plugs" into arduino.. if so can someone point the way .. id like to look at it i may need a few. im trying to measure 200A@12VDC ... just not with a shunt. (becasue i dont know how to safly hook a shunt to an arduino yet... lol)

You REALLY should start another thread with this question.

Paul

Hi,
Check the specification for the Allegro ACS758 hall effect current sensor. It's has an isolation of 3000 volts.
Attached it is a link showing one of the many modules available. This is an example.. Do a google to find which module one suit your project.

AMPS-N:
Dear all,

I am trying to build application to measure current 15A-20A @1000v. I have build circuit with hall sensor and interface with arduino UNO using mux circuit.

Now i am trying to build circuit on shunt basis .if anyone here can put suggestion to take care during building circuit will be appreciable.

Forgive me for saying this... I say it because I feel your life is more important that the possibility of insulting you....

If you have to ask this question, you are not qualified to build such a circuit. That kind of voltage, as well as the current behind it, would be instantly lethal should you make a mistake or touch the wrong thing.

Chances are, you would be dead before you even felt the pain, but dead is dead. PLEASE be careful and seek the assistance of a qualified high voltage engineer.

AMPS-N:

Its equivalent of string monitor in solar.

A clamp on ammeter does not use a shunt resistor. Another example of why you should NOT DO THIS.

Docedison:
Measuring the drop across a series resistor in the ground leg of a power supply is perfectly do-able but not really advisable unless you have a means of sensing the voltage at the high side of the sense resistor to detect an open condition or all the electronics are TOTALLY isolated from everything AND I DO MEAN EVERYTHING else connected to that node....
IMO a lot of extra crap to emulate the inherent isolation provided by a hall effect device.... Safety is NEVER, NEVER a place to try to save a dollar or "Simplify" a design.
You have been advised of how to do the task 'correctly' the obvious way, Twice...
What is the underlying issue that keeps you asking about how to do something inherently VERY Dangerous.
Were your engineering skills at the same level as your 'apparent' coding skills you would know this and not ask a useless question.
1A @ 1KV is 1 KW... this is a NON TRIVIAL current and voltage and 'accidents or parts/construction failures are generally LETHAL to both the equipment and the operator.

Doc

I think MarkT said it most accurately: "BTW high current at 1000V will kill, no second chances".

TomGeorge:
Hi, can you tell us what the project is going to be used on please.
There may be an easier way to do it, and I'm worried that 20A x 1000V = 20kW!

Tom...... :slight_smile:

I'm more worried about the 1Kv part. The 20 amps will just make him dead a few microseconds quicker...

It's a zombie thread, you'll never get an answer.

Engineers and Technicians of all kinds of trades have to work within hazardous areas containing life-threatening agents.

We are safe as long as we are aware about these potential hazards, and we are trained to exercise preventive actions either to kill the causes or to make safe exit.

In 1979 while we were undergoing training as Customer Engineers at GEC Establishment (Rugby, UK), the 60-yr old Safety Engineer showed a crane hook (safety margin 9) which became straitened only at half-load; the Engineer warned us not to make a pass underneath even of a unloaded crane. Practically, we do move; we are largely safe because we are aware about the potential danger.

The fellow member has wanted to measure high current at a high voltage - 1000V! The TV technician measure 10KV - 15KV CRT voltage using High Volatge Probe and the Minitron (Neutron Generator) Maintenance Engineer also measures the Minitron's operataing volatge of 100kV using the similar type of Probe. In these works, they follow safety rules as has been listed in a printed page - not acceptable from memory.

There are dangers; however, we have to do the works. There has appeared a number of posts, a few of which are giving more importance on 'fear' rather than offering means of his personal safety like:

1. Be sure (for DC circuit) that the sink side of the circuit is solidly grounded; it can't be accidentally
    opened. Place millivolt DC shunt at the sink side. Now, there exists no hazard of high voltage
    unless the load itself gets disconnected from sink side along with the shunt. For AC circuits,
    CT, PT, and floating circuit would provide necessary isolation.

2. Wear 5KV tested safety boot.

3. Practice of keeping one hand in the pocket while working on electric circuit.

4. Always keep someone around while working on electrical circuit.

5. Learn the standard procedures of interfacing low voltage electronics with high voltage
    equipment.

6. Learn the rules of general safety.

Thanks to the Arduino Forum which is not only an otherwise dry forum of hardware trouble shooting , software debugging, and win-win debate; it also offers opportunity for sharing many experiences which may help us taking better care of our individual lives.

GolamMostafa:
4. Always keep someone around while working on electrical circuit.

Yep, we used to say that too.
And when the customer asked why, we told him: so the other one can finish the job if the first one gets killed.
Leo..

Jiggy-Ninja:
It's a zombie thread, you'll never get an answer.

I never noticed that. I just saw a "new" post and replied to it. Sorry.