Question on difference between bootloaders?

tim7:

xl97:
1.) because I successfully flashed Optiboot (using the Otiloader sketch.. that auto detects chip signature) in a jig/circuit that was set-up with 16MHz external crystal,..... I can just take that chip out.. and pop it into the 'final' circuit that is set-up to use an 8MHz external resonator.. and have ZERO problems? side effects?......nothing??

That's right. The only extra thing you'll have to do is add an extra entry in boards.txt. You have installed an Optiboot binary which is made for running at 16MHz. It will still run at 8MHz, but at half the speed. The only change you have to make is ensure that the communications coming from your PC are also running at half the normal speed.

2.) There is no 'pre-existing' entry in the boards menu in the Arduino IDE for ANYTHING Optiboot related? 16Mhz or 8Mhz??

No, that's not right. The Uno, the Arduino Mini, and the Arduino Ethernet all use Optiboot at 16MHz.

now this seems like an answer to addresses my current situation/problem...(correct?)

I'm not quite sure that your current problem is. If you've got Optiboot running, isn't that enough?

sorry..

I suppose I wasnt clear enough..

I understand that the UNO uses the Optiboot bootloader..

I guess meant it more as there are no entries that are labeled as Optiboot.. in ANY flavor.. (they are named Uno, ..etc)

As far as the current problem..

• I have blank ATmega328P-AU (smd) chips I need to flash

• the END/FINAL pcb they will be going into is an 8Mhz external resonator circuit..

• the END/FINAL pcb has NO ICSP headers/pins broken out to flash AFTER being assembled.

• I have a 'TEST JIG' that I can use to flash bootloaders onto these BLANK ATmega 328P-AU chips BEFORE they get assembled into the (final/target) 8MHz external resonator pcb

• The FLASHING 'TEST JIG' I have is that 1ISoG board I linked to above.. it is set-up with a 16MHz external crystal.

thats the current situation/problem that prompted this.

I have what I believe to be a FLASHED chip with Optiboot on it. Since it 'auto detects' the chip signature.. and there is no 8Mhz version.. (and you cant choose anyways.. Optiloader just 'goes'..and runs when a chip is detected)... this chip is set-up to use 16Mhz.

which Im assuming will NOT work in the final/target board that is set up with an 8MHz external resonator..

So no.. I dont believe just because Optiboot is running that is enough.

I need tp ensure that even though Im using a 16MHZ based circuit to FLASH the bootloader with.. there will be NO side effects with that chip being used in the final 8MHZ circuit.

So I created those two 'new' entries.. (& apparently one is wrong) LOL...

and at this point.. Im still confused??

thanks