Not responding error on new Uno

I got a new Uno (clone) today but I am having trouble using it. When I try to upload blink to it, I see Rx LED flash a few times then I got error message:

Arduino: 1.8.4 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\Killua\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_832271\core\core_arduino_avr_uno_0c812875ac70eb4a9b385d8fb077f54c.a
Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x59
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x59
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x59
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x59
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x59
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x59
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x59
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x59
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x59
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x59
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I have tried different USB cable, tried different version of Arduino program, different computer, different chip too (this one has socketed 28 pin DIP not the 32 pin SMD) and I can't get the new Uno to respond.

I have selected correct board and the computer detects Uno is plugged in but it's not connecting through. It's like there may be disconnect between 16u2 and 328p or the 16u2 has a bad pin?

Have you tried the loopback test?

Does the 328 on the board have a bootloader; and does your 'spare' 328'? Maybe it's an option to take a known working 328 (with bootloader) out of a Uno and stick it in your clone; not sure if you have one.

Loopback test doesn't echo anything I type in, something is not getting through. According to schematic there are only a single resistor on each TX and RX line between 16u2 and 328, if those are working and not broken, then 16u2 may have a bad solder or bad chip?

Bad soldering is more likely than bad chip. Inspect the board using a magnifying glass. Put pressure on the two resistors while running the loopback test; if it works, you've found where the bad solder is. Same for the rx/tx pins on the 16u2.

Or ask for a new one from the seller :smiley:

Guess I'll wait for a new one. I tried pressing down, no change. The 328 chip worked fine in my older UNO thus it has bootloader and not blown. I checked with my meter, there is continuity from '328 pin 2 and 3 to digital pin 0 and 1, and continuity to resistor network, and resistor itself is fine. The only thing left is either bad trace from the resistor to 16u2 or bad 16u2 since I can't get my meter probe under the IC to check for bad connection or solder.

If 16u2 isn't programmed right, would it still respond when plugged in USB or should it behave differently?

On a hunch, I checked reset pin 1 of '328p, it is 0v. Is it supposed to be high? Something may have locked the '328p into reset mode?

This gets weirder. When I removed '328p the pin 1 does go to 5v but when it's in, it goes to 0v. I tried with 2 different good '328 so I think the board is screwed up and the reset line may be shorted to another pin on the '328 socket that pulls it low when the chip is inserted.

It still failed loopback test anyway and I don't have what it takes to remove or repair a tiny SMD chip 16u2 so I'll let the seller deal with this one.

Is it a clone that requires the CH340 driver to work ( not sure here , but costs you nothing to install the driver)

hammy:
Is it a clone that requires the CH340 driver to work ( not sure here , but costs you nothing to install the driver)

Loopback test works so driver is installed; and OP specifically mentions 16U2 :wink:

I think the seller I bought it from isn't fluent in English. The seller is in Texas but 3 times today he asked what version Arduino IDE I used. I responded with the version number 3 times. Claims it is working fine right now but since the non-working Uno is still in my hand I don't think he is testing the right one. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ May need to open return claim and let eBay force the seller into issuing refund.