Audio response computer: feasible?

So I had this idea for a laptop for the visually impaired using an arduino and the speakjet chip for audio feedback. Using a PS/2 keyboard as input, the device would perform basic tasks such as word processing and reading text, and possibly a few games. My eventual hope is to power this by a LiPO battery pack and open source it as a project, but right now I'm just analyzing the concept. Anyone have ideas as to how to get this off the ground? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure my macbook does what you're saying, but it sounds cool... if you want to intercept the PS/2 signal from the keyboard, then yes, that's doable. Arduino Playground - PS2Keyboard

That's what I thought. I just was poking around as to what the investment is for a laptop without a screen, and the prices I found were up in the $3000 range so I had one of those "there's gotta be a better way" moments and thought I'd give it my go. Any ideas on interfacing with SD storage, or even usb flash? I looked in the Playground, and I've got a lot of options. Ideas?

Any ideas on interfacing with SD storage, or even usb flash?

Possibly to keep the load off the arduino you want to go with SD storage with an external controller.

Something like the uMMC perhaps.
That uses serial commands and has a whole raft of features (directory creation, file creation and deletion etc etc).

Mowcius

mowcius:
That uses serial commands and has a whole raft of features (directory creation, file creation and deletion etc etc).

So could I store executable commands on the card, or would it be just storage? I believe at this point I may have to buy more EEPROM. Thanks for all the help despite my numerous questions!

Wolfman18336

So could I store executable commands on the card, or would it be just storage?

Yes - Here is an example of running bitlash with commands on the SD card:

You can have 4 files open at once so you could be running commands from one, variables from another and data storage to a third with one left over :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for all the help despite my numerous questions!

That's what we do! :slight_smile: