Simple Dumping Monitor

Simple Dumping Monitor library for ATmega168/ATmega328p based Arduino boards allows you to dump registers, timer states, interrupts and memories, either RAM, Flash and ROM.

Starting with version 0.6 simple symbolic debugger functions were added.

Being compiled, the library requires near 11 KBytes of Flash memory and requires less than 1 KByte of RAM (227 Bytes for dumpmon.pde example, 377 Bytes for dumpmonDebug.pde example).

In order to use the library, you should download library's archive, unpack it to libraries directory of the Arduino IDE Software directory. As result it would be libraries/DumpMon directory created.

There are two sketches inside the DumpMon/Examples directory:

• dumpmon.pde - to use the library as a sketch
  • dumpmonBlink.pde - this is the Blink example with serial monitoring functions
  • dumpmonDebug.pde - debugging functions example

After successful compilation and uploading of the sketch into Arduino board, open Serial Monitor window and set the correct USART speed (it uses 19200 in examples). Then use following commands to dump microcontroller states:

• ? - display help
  • R - dump current registers states
  • I - dump interrupt vectors table
  • V - display available RAM
  • T0 - dump Timer0 state
  • T1 - dump Timer1 state
  • T2 - dump Timer2 state
  • M000 - dump RAM memory, beginning from address 000
  • F0000 - dump Flash memory, beginning from address 0000
  • O000 - dump ROM memory, beginning from address 000
  • A - repeat previous command
  • C - continue the dump output (for timers - show next timer, for registers and interrupts - repeat the output

Addresses are hexadecimal only. Comands and addresses could be entered in both upper and lower cases.

More about debugging functions of the library http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,51910.0.html

Download DumpMon http://sites.google.com/site/vanyambauseslinux/home/fajlovyj-menedzer/DumpMon-0.7.tar.gz (17,7 KB)

Attach below is version 0.1. Current version is 0.7. Please download DumpMon with link above.

1 Like

Downloaded and installed in the arduino-0021/libraries folder, then read dumpmonBlink.pde into the IDE and get this when I compile

dumpmonBlink.cpp:4:57: error: dumpmon.h: No such file or directory
dumpmonBlink.cpp: In function 'void setup()':
dumpmonBlink:9: error: 'dumpmonSetup' was not declared in this scope
dumpmonBlink.cpp: In function 'void loop()':
dumpmonBlink:13: error: 'dumpmonLoop' was not declared in this scope

I don't normally use the IDE so don't know what to tweak.

Rob

Graynomad:
Downloaded and installed in the arduino-0021/libraries folder, then read dumpmonBlink.pde into the IDE and get this when I compile
dumpmonBlink.cpp:4:57: error: dumpmon.h: No such file or directory

It doesn't see DumpMon library at libraries folder.
Please try to restart Arduino IDE.
I've got some auto-reset issues with 0021 version. So I could recomend to install 0022.

OK I've managed to have a dump, thanks.

Still with 21, I guess the IDE only reads the include paths when it boots.

BTW, I'm writing something similar but mine is different in that it uses some hardware to reduce the footprint on the target system.

Rob

That's great! :slight_smile:

I've just updated Simple Dumping Monitor. Current version is 0.3.
http://sites.google.com/site/vanyambauseslinux/home/fajlovyj-menedzer/DumpMon.tar.gz

'\r' added to '\n' to use it with 'screen'. http://swoolley.org/man.cgi/1/screen

Version 0.5 of DumpMon is now available.
Major update is the interrupts table dump added. This is so cool. :slight_smile:
http://sites.google.com/site/vanyambauseslinux/home/fajlovyj-menedzer/DumpMon-0.5.tar.gz

Just downloaded, works well, just needs full symbolic debugging :slight_smile:

Rob

Graynomad:
Just downloaded, works well, just needs full symbolic debugging :slight_smile:

Thanks, Rob. It was hard work but...

Download DumpMon version 0.6 and use new advanced debug features! :slight_smile:
http://sites.google.com/site/vanyambauseslinux/home/fajlovyj-menedzer/DumpMon-0.6.tar.gz

See dumpmonDebug example in order how to use symblic debug functions.

New commands added:

• G - go-execution mode. Use this command to execute the sketch without breaks.
  • S - step-execution mode. Use this command to enter step-execution mode.
  • N - step up to next breakpoint. Use this command to execute up to next breakpoint.

:slight_smile:

How does this compare in size and complexity to an implementation that would support remote access from gdb?
I think there are some sample gdb for AVR out there...

westfw:
How does this compare in size and complexity to an implementation that would support remote access from gdb?

Debugging with AVR-GDB is made through JTAG interface with AVR ICE (In-Circuit Emulator).
This is much different way to debug. User can set breakpoint at any address of program without reprogramming of the Flash memory.

Debugging with AVR-GDB is made through JTAG interface with AVR ICE (In-Circuit Emulator).

Debugging with AVR-GDB is USUALLY done using JTAG or other debug interface, but gdb also has a "remote" protocol that can send the data over an ordinary serial line using a "stub" piece of software in the target (See http://www.hex-rays.com/idapro/idadoc/1335.shtml for instance.) Most reasonably complete "monitor" programs are pretty close to having all the features needed by the gdb remote protocol (but the parsing tends to be simpler for gdb remote.)

westfw:
Debugging with AVR-GDB is USUALLY done using JTAG or other debug interface, but gdb also has a "remote" protocol that can send the data over an ordinary serial line using a "stub" piece of software in the target (See http://www.hex-rays.com/idapro/idadoc/1335.shtml for instance.)

As I know, AVR ICE is an "Arduino as ISP programmer" board, which implements GDB Remote Serial Protocol for debugging via JTAG. This is more universal programmer, because it can be used with any AVR microcontrollers. I guess, AVR JTAG protocol is proprietary.

westfw:
Most reasonably complete "monitor" programs are pretty close to having all the features needed by the gdb remote protocol (but the parsing tends to be simpler for gdb remote.)

You want to know, does it to implement RSP is more difficult than to implement state machine with three switch case construction in three functions (dumpmonlib.cpp)? No, it's not more difficult, but it requires more Flash memory and more RAM, and it should work at bootloader memory (sketches work at program memory).

Show available RAM function added in version 0.7.

http://sites.google.com/site/vanyambauseslinux/home/fajlovyj-menedzer/DumpMon-0.7.tar.gz

I just got this error...

D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\registers.cpp: In function 'void getRegisters(registers_t*)':
D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\registers.cpp:148: error: 'PRR' was not declared in this scope

See entire output below....

D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=22 -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon C:\Users\dave\AppData\Local\Temp\build7581516507984079922.tmp\dumpmon.cpp -oC:\Users\dave\AppData\Local\Temp\build7581516507984079922.tmp\dumpmon.cpp.o 
D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=22 -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\utility D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\dumpdebug.cpp -oC:\Users\dave\AppData\Local\Temp\build7581516507984079922.tmp\DumpMon\dumpdebug.cpp.o 
D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=22 -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\utility D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\dumpmonlib.cpp -oC:\Users\dave\AppData\Local\Temp\build7581516507984079922.tmp\DumpMon\dumpmonlib.cpp.o 
D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=22 -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\utility D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\interrupts.cpp -oC:\Users\dave\AppData\Local\Temp\build7581516507984079922.tmp\DumpMon\interrupts.cpp.o 
D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=22 -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\utility D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\memory.cpp -oC:\Users\dave\AppData\Local\Temp\build7581516507984079922.tmp\DumpMon\memory.cpp.o 
D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=22 -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\utility D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\printpgm.cpp -oC:\Users\dave\AppData\Local\Temp\build7581516507984079922.tmp\DumpMon\printpgm.cpp.o 
D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=atmega2560 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=22 -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon -ID:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\utility D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\registers.cpp -oC:\Users\dave\AppData\Local\Temp\build7581516507984079922.tmp\DumpMon\registers.cpp.o 
D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\registers.cpp: In function 'void getRegisters(registers_t*)':
D:\Arduino\arduino-0022\libraries\DumpMon\registers.cpp:148: error: 'PRR' was not declared in this scope

This is the version 7

So no luck...

WillR:
-mmcu=atmega2560

Currently I am working on ATmega2560 support. :wink:

Vanyamba:

WillR:
-mmcu=atmega2560

Currently I am working on ATmega2560 support. :wink:

NOW you tell me! ]:smiley:

I await eagerly....

I just installed DumpMon 0.34 today and I got an error message complaining about ve_avr.h file not found in breakisr.cpp during compilation of dumpmonBlink sketch.
Fortunately the ChangeLog mentions ve_avr.h was renamed to ve_avr_dumpmon.h in version 0.34.. easy to fix.

Thanks a lot for your great work

Hello,

Try to compile the simple "dumpmon.ino" example and get following error.

I copied all the file into Arduino library directory. Where can I download the latest release?

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

WARNING: Category 'Device' in library Wio LTE Arduino Library is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
Build options changed, rebuilding all
C:\Users\dtran.TECOMSYS\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DumpMon\breakisr.cpp:12:20: fatal error: ve_avr.h: No such file or directory

#include "ve_avr.h"

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.