Problem: Arduino & LCD with KS0066 / SPLC780

Don't tell me about the wireing of 5v and GND, the pins are switched (see the link of the datasheet, I posted before)

This part does have me confused. Your LCD controller obviously has the correct power applied otherwise you would see smoke instead of blocks. Your backlight also appears to be on. According to your datasheet pin 1 is the ground (-) for the LCD controller and pin 2 is VDD. This is the normal connection (there are some modules where these are reversed) and you wiring looks correct. Your datasheet also says that pin 15 is the backlight positive terminal, but you have it connected to GND. Similarly the datasheet says that pin 16 is the backlight negative terminal, but you have it connected to +5V.

I am assuming that you can vary the intensity of the blocks from very dark to very light which would verify that pin 1 is near the outside edge of the board which is the normal configuration. What happens if you disconnect one of the green backlight wires?

I cannot follow the four data lines in your photo. Try using different color wire or spread them apart so they can be followed.

Are you sure your sketch is being downloaded properly. You could add some steps to turn the LED at pin 13 ON at the end of setup to check this out.

Don