Hello Again, All!

Welcome back. I recall your determination with your the safety valve project. I also seem to recall that you spend nights surfing eBay for bargains, a self confessed 'bottom feeder'? Or was that someone else?

If you have a nice word with one of the mods they might be able to convince one of the web gurus to reactivate your old account - they have done another one recently.

GoForSmoke:
If you illuminate the glass etchings from behind it looks bright?

Tell me if this was a good eBay deal, 60 IRLZ44N for 14.5 cents each?

Are they real, or a misprint and you have really bought a 60IRLZ44N, which is the left side "wigwam for a goose's bridle"
Geese bridles are pretty cheap I hear. :slight_smile:

Bottom feeder extaordinaire! Never stopped that either.. accumulating parts that fall through the cracks on eBay..

Esp8266, nanos, power transistors, switches.. if I can get it super cheap I grab and shelve it. That being said it made loading moving truck... Tedious.. as I decided to sort to some extent while packing

Lol

TomGeorge:
Are they real, or a misprint and you have really bought a 60IRLZ44N, which is the left side "wigwam for a goose's bridle"
Geese bridles are pretty cheap I hear. :slight_smile:

60 TTL level power MOSFETs, type IRLZ44N, best used for low side power switching. Max current 49A at 60V. 14.5 cents each.

Most MOSFETs I've found that can switch > 1A cost a good bit more. Earlier I paid 80 cents each for 12 other FETs, go figure.

focalist:
Bottom feeder extaordinaire! Never stopped that either.. accumulating parts that fall through the cracks on eBay..

Esp8266, nanos, power transistors, switches.. if I can get it super cheap I grab and shelve it. That being said it made loading moving truck... Tedious.. as I decided to sort to some extent while packing

Lol

There's a place in Ohio (at least a distro point) resistorpark.com with eBay-like prices and details/support to match. That's a 2 day ship for you or me.
ESP modules under $4, bootloaded 328P $2.23, 16MHz crystal but w/o the caps -- is $1 high?

AVR prices dropped, dunno if you've seen. Microchip bought Atmel. Mouser sold 1284P around $5.50 in July, that was $7 for years before. I dunno what you think of the 1284P though but I bought 2.

Nice on the logic MOSFETs!

The actual "move" is now complete, but I am now going to undertake a terrible task before I get down to actual tinkering..

Sorting out the bins.

Bottom feeding, I sometimes get a couple of packs of components a day.. and since I get most of them with no immediate need, I simply would put them in a bin. I've done this for years. Remember, I often get a pack with two microswitches, that I paid 10 cents including shipping for. Or ten diodes. Or a couple of power transistors. You know, whatever I could pick up for pocket change, knowing I'd eventually find a use (or someone with a use) for it. There's lasers, LED's and switches. Packs of screws. Arduino Mini clones. Heat shrink tubing. Solderless breadboards, jumpers, shift registers and ULN2003's, capacitor assortments (disc and electrolytic), resistors, and frankly... tons of just plain random stuff. The key being getting whatever it was, very cheap.

So when I need a part, I often have to dive into these bins, and actually finding anything is nearly impossible. It's time. I need to take over the floor in the basement for a day and dump ALL of it out, sort and properly bin it. Daunting task... :smiley:

SO.. I've got a couple of bins.. Four, actually.. of completely unsorted parts. Kinda like Christmas, kinda like looking at a huge driveway of snow you KNOW you need to shovel...

:smiley:

Shit... you could stock a hobby shop couldn't you?

You got room to start a hobby club or join one? Helpers! Divvy out some parts for the work, provide caffeine, get to know each other and it'll be done in no time. You even don't mind giving some away so where's the lose but some time spent with others who share the hobby?

Teach soldering. Each time you +1 the number of parts buyers, right? Teach epoxy but check out super glue and baking soda (gets HOT briefly, gets hard, can be molded)

How long ago did you go off radar? I thought we lost you for a while there.

Henry_Best:
Installing your safety valve at the same time wouldn't be any more work and the electronics could be incorporated into the smart meter electronics. It may be worth your while to investigate that.

Modern boilers in the UK use zero pressure gas.(guage)
They depend on the fan in the boiler to draw the gas in using negative pressure.

Well, just moved to a new area (West of Chicago about 30 miles) so getting that started up here will be in the works.

I was the "go-to-guy" for parts for a lot of friends and friends of friends.. when you get the stuff for pennies, it's not too painful to give a few parts away... gave a buddy an ESP8266/NodeMCU the other day, one of the $3 ones. The geek glint in his eye was more than worth the cost :slight_smile:

Boardburner2:
Modern boilers in the UK use zero pressure gas.(guage)
They depend on the fan in the boiler to draw the gas in using negative pressure.

You could just say they suck.

GoForSmoke:
You could just say they suck.

Mine certainly does.
Three service calls in 3 years.

Suck detector failed along with return temperature detector (whatever that does).

Spaiky thing also needed ieieplacement because sucky thing stopped woiking.

Go figuie that one.

EDIT
And now my keyboaid is playing up again.

Boardburner2:

Go figuie that one.

EDIT

Dyxslctic keybard, not your probum.

travis_farmer:
now, if you take "draw the gas in using negative pressure" out of context, it could sound like a very complicated medical problem. :wink: :smiley:

My lungs have been doing it reliably for the past 65+ years :slight_smile:

...R

travis_farmer:
I was thinking the other end, actually :wink:

I have no plans to stoop so low as to comment on that.

...R

No comment.

...R

Boardburner2:
Mine certainly does.
Three service calls in 3 years.

Suck detector failed along with return temperature detector (whatever that does).

Go figuie that one.

EDIT

Lucas electrics? I've heard that's why British drank warm beer, from a Dutchman.

TomGeorge:
Dyxslctic keybard, not your probum.

Is now.

Just went down on the shop foi a new set of botties, got aiiested.

So anyway, with Turkey Day being this week (and hosting right after moving no less) I've not had a chance to geek out much...

HOWEVER..

I do have the laser rig set up. I'm thinking about how I might be able to use it somehow to decorate the food.. like a top of a pie, or something like that... carbonize the top layer of the crust, something like that.

Thoughts/Experiences?

I wonder if there is a way I can take a flat pan of batter of some type, and use the laser to flash-cook a "cake"?

Anyone tried this?

focalist:
Well, just moved to a new area (West of Chicago about 30 miles) so getting that started up here will be in the works.

I was the "go-to-guy" for parts for a lot of friends and friends of friends.. when you get the stuff for pennies, it's not too painful to give a few parts away... gave a buddy an ESP8266/NodeMCU the other day, one of the $3 ones. The geek glint in his eye was more than worth the cost :slight_smile:

Never put off today what you can't get someone else to do tomorrow? (consider the corollary)