Nixie clock !

Hi all,

As a vintage technology lover, i have naturally came across Nixie tubes. I then decided to build a 6-digit time & date clock, using the tsar of all nixies, IN-18's. The time count is provided by an Arduino Uno while the supply and driving is assured by the ArduiNIX shield. The lateral casings are for the alarm speakers (yeah they're big, but I pretty much need that to wake up). Without further ado, here are a few pics of the thing ! (perhaps I'll make a short video in the future)

All full-res pictures here.

Props,

Chris

Nice. I've been starting to think about adding a nixie tube clock to my steampunk camera (see my icon photo). I've been starting to search around for guides and such. I would be interested to see your wiring diagram, etc. Note, for the camera, one big concern is it has to be portable, so I have to do it with batteries.

MichaelMeissner:
Nice. I've been starting to think about adding a nixie tube clock to my steampunk camera (see my icon photo). I've been starting to search around for guides and such. I would be interested to see your wiring diagram, etc. Note, for the camera, one big concern is it has to be portable, so I have to do it with batteries.

Thanks for the feedback. The wiring diagram for my clock is quite similar to this one (with some minor changes). The schematics for the shield itself are here. There are code samples provided on the Arduinix website, which implement the truth table of the drivers (plus the time count). You can use this to have the nixies display whatever you want. The whole thing feeds on 9V, 660mA.

Hope this helps !

Thanks. I hadn't yet discovered arduinix.com, but their shield looks like what I want, and in a price range that I can afford with some budgeting.. Basically I want to reduce it to 4 digits and just do a clock (no alarm). Doing the clock is simple, once I can set each tube to a value 0..9.

Here are the videos :

- YouTube (inputs)
- YouTube (wireless control)
- YouTube (cathode poisoning prevention)

Please allow me to bump one last time, for the final upgrade -the alarm- has been implemented. The music is played with the Adafruit Wave shield and library.

I've also added a few pictures to the gallery : [Flickr link].

Looks great.