Go Down

Topic: what i have been up to, thus far. (Read 20652 times) previous topic - next topic

TomGeorge

What would the neighbours see if the temp is below zero DegC.

(Opps don't go there..  :o :o :o)

Tom... :)

Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Qdeathstar

A well polished utensil, i imagine.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Henry_Best

What would the neighbours see if the temp is below zero DegC.
He'd get frozen stiff.  :o

travis_farmer

this seems to have gone astray, a bit.  :o  :o  :o

~Travis
Current Obsession: My server rack cooler, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own under-used forum on my hobby server.

Qdeathstar

Just a bit, and only for a minute. 
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

travis_farmer

I finally got some doors mounted on my server rack, with fans mounted into the rear doors. i haven't finished rebuilding the fan controller though, so i wired the fans direct to the PSU. man them fans are loud at full bore! :o  :o  :o
Fortunately, once the controller is done, they will throttle back per temperature demand. my biggest hang-up right now is trying to get everything stuffed into the cheap 2U rack case i bought for this project. i have to make an all new rear panel for the case, so the PSU, fan connectors, and temp sensor connectors can all be mounted. I also have to put some screen on the fan holes in the rear rack door. no need to have wires getting sucked in. the fans are pretty powerful.  :o
My reasoning for the big fans (12" automotive radiator fans) is that once throttled down, they will be quieter. and when needed (hopefully not), they can exchange a lot of air, in a short time.

One flaw i have detected, is that one 20" X 16" furnace filter may not flow as much CFM as the fans will. it seems to dome up pretty hard. a possible fix would be to mount two more in the front door. but that would block the option of adding plexiglass or lexan to the front door, so i can view my creation. :D

the other issue i have is in mounting stuff inside the 2U case. obviously it wasn't designed for my project, so i will have to custom mount everything. the less i can drill for holes in the metal the better, as i don't like stray metal shavings in my project enclosure. i was kind of thinking of mounting stuff to a small piece of lexan, and then just stick a velcro pad underneath, and have strips of velcro stuck to the bottom of the case. this will also make it easier to upgrade in the future. probably rather unique, but i think it should work.

I seem to be solving my own problems just by writing about them. ;) rather handy. i wouldn't bother to post, but there is a very slight chance something here may be useful to all of 0.00000001 people. ;)

~Travis

travis_farmer

spent some time with my CrossRoads Mini2560, making a few connections for my server rack fan cooler, when it occurred to me that my DuPont pin terminal crimper is a POS. probably mis-advertized as compatible with DuPont terminations. so anyway, i have it half transferred from my MEGA2560 prototype, over to the Mini2560. it still connects via jumpers to a breadboard, but that will be fixed as i progress. rather than wire it from the underside, i wired it from the top side, adding pin headers as needed (in case of upgrade).

i haven't connected the WiFi board yet, as i have to go back through my schematics to translate the Arduino pins to port bits. it was a good stopping point for now anyway. i did upload my latest sketch to it though, but it halts when it looks for the WiFi board, so that's as far as that went.

in the mean time, i may re-code the sketch a bit, with some #ifdef statements to block the WiFi portions, so i can at least wire it to the fans and test everything so far.

~Travis

travis_farmer

I thought of an interesting idea for my wildly under-used Raspberry Pi 3. i could set it up for digital signage (Screenly OSE), and set it to display a non-public portion of my website that i can setup as a family appointments calendar. people here at home can use my website to enter appointments, and the digital signage Rpi with a small HDTV could be located in a central location, so for instance, if somebody was far later than usual getting home, one look could confirm or deny an appointment.
That's just one thought i had though. I have also thought of using it as a large central display, showing data from various Arduinos logging telemetry. for instance, a weather monitoring system. i could even combine the two, and provide a calendar, with the weather telemetry. whatever i end up with, i will make it open-source, so others can use it, and make it better (or worse ;) ).
I bought a weather station sensor set, similar to the one SparkFun sells. but i got it off eBay.

pricey, but not so much when you compare to full fledged stations. my plans are to have a bare-bones ATMEGA328P at the base of the weather station. it will read the sensors, and fire the data off via RS485 to the data-logger arduino inside the house. I will have to include a temperature sensor, as the weather sensor set does not include one. I have several DS18B20 sensors.
then i just have to connect the data-logger arduino to my network, and run it as a JSON web server. it will be used in a similar fashion as my server rack monitor, so it can be read with a PHP script to update the info on the central weather and calendar page that the Rpi digital signage will read from.
in any case, it will be one of many winter projects to keep me busy.

as stated before, as i get some working code, i will pop it up on my GitHub for others to use. at least the Arduino code, and the PHP as well.

I haven't worked out the calendar bit yet. somehow i have to make it viewable from the internet, by immediate family when they are outside the range of the WiFi, yet keep it secure against others. probably just some standard PHP/MySQL authentication, and display it only via my SSL side of my server. but the key component of the calendar and weather, is i will have to have one page that the digital signage displays, and have it integrate with the data (read-only). it is all easy enough, in thought. i just have to get some code going.

Something i thought of, that would be handy. i have an Adafruit thermal receipt printer. it would be neat to have the household grocery list integrated in as well, and make it so family can add items. then just hit a button by the viewer, and print out the current list. it would be neat, but probably not as easy as i would want. ;)

~Travis

larryd

They have weather reports on the news in most countries ;)

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

travis_farmer

Nov 14, 2017, 10:59 pm Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017, 11:00 pm by travis_farmer
yes, but they would be more helpful if the local reports were closer than a 2.5hour drive away. ;)
it is just basic sensors anyway. wind, rain, and temp. the ones the weather folks never seem to get very close with, locally. besides, it is more fun to make my own.

~Travis

TomGeorge

Nov 15, 2017, 02:40 am Last Edit: Nov 15, 2017, 02:40 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
Don't you have access to data like this, from our BOM?

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60801/IDV60801.94852.shtml

Tom.. :)

travis_farmer

Hi,
Don't you have access to data like this, from our BOM?

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60801/IDV60801.94852.shtml

Tom.. :)
no idea, but you guys are really taking the air out of my balloons. ;)

what i meant by this:
yes, but they would be more helpful if the local reports were closer than a 2.5hour drive away.
is that the weather radar, and the people that interpret it, are a long ways away. so the data for when i step out the door is quite often very different from the professional weather report. with the mountains, hills and valleys, even the local in-town readings can be different from one side of town, to the other.

BTW, from your BOM, 16.8C would feel nice about now (about -1.1C here, according to the weather report anyway ;) ).

~Travis

travis_farmer

well, i had a doctor appointment today... she says i have stage 3 (or 4, i don't remember) kidney disease. apparently my kidneys are only functioning at about half their expected rate, or something. so, no more ibuprofen for my hellatious back pain (degenerative joint disease, AKA: arthritis).

in other news, my weather sensor set should show up today, at some point. i just have to figure out the best place to mount the sensors, and still be able to get to them for adjustments or repairs. the solar radiation shield for the thermometer, and other stuff (humidity, barometric pressure, and whatever else) can all be mounted low.

~Travis

TomGeorge

Nov 18, 2017, 03:21 am Last Edit: Nov 18, 2017, 03:26 am by TomGeorge
well, i had a doctor appointment today... she says i have stage 3 (or 4, i don't remember) kidney disease. apparently my kidneys are only functioning at about half their expected rate, or something. so, no more ibuprofen for my hellatious back pain (degenerative joint disease, AKA: arthritis).

in other news, my weather sensor set should show up today, at some point. i just have to figure out the best place to mount the sensors, and still be able to get to them for adjustments or repairs. the solar radiation shield for the thermometer, and other stuff (humidity, barometric pressure, and whatever else) can all be mounted low.

~Travis
Sorry to hear about the kidneys mate, my wife had hers fail for about 24hours due to blood poisoning.

In the days leading up to it she was very ill.
She recovered, but not full function, fortunately she only needed 24hours of dialysis to come good, but  then had to have regular blood tests.

I get about 5 years out of my weather stations, UV certainly takes its toll, especially in the wind vane and wind speed cups.
My last one died after a lightning strike about 1/2 a km away, when I took it down, most of the plastic was stuffed or lost its shine and one of the cups fell off due to UV of 5 years.

The only thing that was recoverable was the rainguage unit.
The main electronics looked okay, but no Tx.

A lovely Spring day here... lol
Tom..... :)

travis_farmer

Sorry to hear about the kidneys mate, my wife had hers fail for about 24hours due to blood poisoning.

In the days leading up to it she was very ill.
She recovered, but not full function, fortunately she only needed 24hours of dialysis to come good, but  then had to have regular blood tests.
i hope i don't need dialysis, but whatever will be, will be. i don't have to have super regular blood tests. well, every 6 months right now anyway. so far they are holding, but the doc just wants to make sure they don't take a steep decline. IOW, if they can catch it in time, they can treat it faster.

I get about 5 years out of my weather stations, UV certainly takes its toll, especially in the wind vane and wind speed cups.
My last one died after a lightning strike about 1/2 a km away, when I took it down, most of the plastic was stuffed or lost its shine and one of the cups fell off due to UV of 5 years.

The only thing that was recoverable was the rainguage unit.
The main electronics looked okay, but no Tx.
a little disheartening about the UV damage to the plastic. you would think they would make the parts from metal, though that would drive up the cost. as for the lightning, i may switch from a wired RS485 connection, to a RF connection. at least it would lessen the damage in a strike. perhaps battery power as well, with a solar panel.

A lovely Spring day here... lol
Tom..... :)
bit of a hot morning here ;)
My weather sensors didn't show up last night, as UPS promised. now they are expected on Monday, so i will have to wait a bit longer before i can test the code i wrote (well, modified from the SparkFun example).

~Travis

Go Up