AS1130 Ongoing Discussion 132 Individually controllable, PWM LED driver

I know about the TSSOP, but it's actually way too big for my application.

Unfortunately, to this day, I haven't been able to find anybody who can make a board that made for a WL-CSP footprint.
Its more of a massive company, large production kind of capability.

If anybody knows of some fabricator, throw it out.

Most places that can handle 4mil rules can do it, but I still have to cheat by altering the shape of the outer BGA pads. A couple of PCBAs have reviewed this and seem to think it will work fine; one even said it's approximately what they would have done to my Gerbers without my asking.

Hmmmm, my board isn't lighting up.
Do you really need the IRQ and the RSTN hooked up for your PWM sketch Hex?
If not, my circuit board must suck

Sorry about the delay...been away for a few days.... 8)

The RSTN pin needs to be pulled to logic 1 or the chip will keep resetting.

The IRQ pin has no effect whatsoever if you're using the PWM example code. (It's not used).

Are you using the code "as is" or modified?

Also let's see your hardware/schematic... :wink:

The code is not changed at all.
Okay, I didn't solder a pin to my RSTN hole. I'll see what I can do about getting one soldered on after some class tomorrow. I just tried to heat up my iron in my dorm and I smelled awful. Didn't want the alarm to go off.

Schematic...Lemme see...I can't find it right now, BUT! I know its right. I went over it about seven times. I always do a check like that before I send something to fab.

Astron will do WLP for example:

Thanks for the link Mr Force...good to know for future reference.

Lol, wow I feel dumb. turns out a few of my pins weren't soldered to the pad on the AS1130. Should look closer next time.
Good news is I have to go home to get my suit so I can solder those down. I'll report back when I have it soldered down

I had a similar problem with one of my chips on the 528 LED board, it was intermittently working and after a lot of messing about I found 1 pin was not soldered properly!.

Remember it for the future (like I didn't) :grin:

It's amazing that there are now chips which will drive more than 100 individual LEDs.

When you get that number up to something like half a million LEDs, you might be
able to invent something like, um, television.

Hey...you should try to market that idea...it might catch on... :grin:

Hi All,

I am working on a project using AS1130 and have problem in making scrolling works. I would like to do scroll of 'digit' accords 5x48 LED using 2 AS1130. (Similar to page 32 of datasheet) . I can already display the 'digit' on the LED matrix, but when I start scrolling, the 'digits' just do not pass the CS11 boundary. Can anyone give me some direction? Thanks in advance.

Follow is the way I am using now:

as_config(0xc0, 0x0B, 0x02); //IC1 sync out
as2_config(0xc0, 0x0B, 0x01); //IC2 sync in

as_config(0xc0, 0x01, 0x40); //movie of frame0
as_config(0xc0, 0x02, 0x01); //play 1 frame
as_config(0xc0, 0x03, 0x31); //scroll digit in 5LED block
as_config(0xc0, 0x04, 0x2B); //CS0 to CS11

//repeat for IC2
as2_config(0xc0, 0x01, 0x40);
as2_config(0xc0, 0x02, 0x01);
as2_config(0xc0, 0x03, 0x31);
as2_config(0xc0, 0x04, 0x2B);

:slight_smile:

nice.

Rob

Whoa. Can you see out that while it is going? Add a mode when you can power blast. Be a superhero! Also, remake with RGB leds, you could be totally freaky. I love that. If that was your idea that is a great one.

It doesn't matter if you can see when you look so cool :slight_smile:

Rob

I made some long ago using a traditional strobed matrix approach. These use two AS1130 (on the BGA WL-CSP package) and are way more capable.

Easy to see through them.

Writing code for some RGB ones now :slight_smile: But those aren't relevant to AS1130.

Oh wow! Did you make those glasses yourself?
Code, codeeeeee

For anybody who may be interested, I'm porting the existing code over to Raspberry pi