Trouble with Mac OS X 10.8.2 and Serial Ports

Hi All

Can anyone shed some light on this problem before I give up and work on a Windows machine.

I have suddenly lost the ability to connect to my Arduino Uno with my Mac. I am running OS X 10.8.2, I have turned Bluetooth off completely and removed all Bluetooth connections. I have re-installed the FTDI drivers over and over again but the serial port does not show up in the IDE. I have changed USB ports, trying both hub connections and directly from the back of the Mac. I have restarted the Mac countless times but all to no avail.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there some little trick I should know about?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Bluetooth has nothing to do with it.
FTDI drivers don't matter on a Uno (if it is genuine).

What does System Information (In Applications -> Utilities) say under USB when the Arduino is connected?

I have the same problem, the error message is :
"the serial port is already in use, try to close other application that may use it"

exactly:
processing.app.SerialException: Serial port '/dev/tty.usbmodem5d11' already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.

But it is not true !!

No, your problem is completly unrelated. Not sure how you define "not showing up" and "already in use" as he same problem.

Try these fixes for serial port in use:
http://www.cmiyc.com/blog/2012/10/08/arduino-fixing-serial-port-in-use/

thanks. I finally did find somebody having the same problem with serial port af my Mac. my trouble still is present, as I am new here and don't understand the solution. Terminal??? could you please tell me exactly how to close the ever open ports?

kajfjendbo:
Terminal??? could you please tell me exactly how to close the ever open ports?

I give directions in the link above.

Terminal is the command line utility. It is available in Applications -> Utilities

The most common issue is the /var/lock section.

Sorry, I dont understand.
maybe my english is not good enough or I am an to unexpierenced programmer?