Show and Tell at a job interview

So, I am in the market for a new job. Today I did something I haven't really done before, I brought my Arduino and a couple of shields I've made with me to the interview. It was great when I was asked, "what do you like to do for fun?" I pulled them out, and explained about Arduino.

The shields aren't terribly complex. One is a RTC clock while the other is a LED matrix (8x6) I made just because I had a bunch of blue LEDs sitting around.

Even better, I was interviewing for a component company. The hiring manager noticed their parts on my board. That hadn't even occurred to me. I've been using a reel of their components for my personal projects for a very long time.

Moral of the story, show and tell always goes over well. Now, we will see if the technique worked. :wink:

That's awesome. :slight_smile: They definitely won't forget you. :slight_smile: Good luck.

It was a successful technique. :wink:

Yea, probably better then bringing in your personal gun collection as a show and tell. :smiley:

"This is my rife, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun...."

Give me a break, I was in the Air Force, guns were all we had.

On the other hand we USAF enlisted were known to be a little smarter then the other services, we sent the officers out to fly and fight, while we stayed back at the bases. :smiley:

retrolefty:
Yea, probably better then bringing in your personal gun collection as a show and tell. :smiley:

Depends on where you're interviewing. ]:smiley:

Living where I do, I can think of a few places where it might help (keeping in mind that my "collection" consists of a single venerable revolver, so I can wear the whole thing on my belt without looking too out-of-place 8)). I can even think of one where I know it would have helped: the client was a major gun fan. And I actually wound up going to work armed for a while after drug smugglers took strong issue with his refusal of their offer of money for safe passage through his property.

retrolefty:

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=52596.msg375986#msg375986 date=1298023235]
"This is my rife, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun...."

Give me a break, I was in the Chair Force, guns were all we had.

On the other hand we USAF enlisted were known to be a little smarter then the other services, we sent the officers out to fly and fight, while we stayed back at the bases. :smiley:
[/quote]

Fixed that for you... 4 years as a Navy cryptologist and 3 spec ops :slight_smile: