Okay, how do I control a PC fan with the LCD screen ie faster or slower?

I have finally opened up my arduino and managed to easily get a 20x4 lcd screen working.

I would like to try to control say a PC fan or what ever, it does not matter what it is. But I would like to be able to have a menu come up on the lcd screen that might say something along the lines of " speed 1,2,3,4 etc"
then be able to select which speed you want.

So I guess I would need a few push buttons to use as buttons to select which menu option to use etc.
But how do you program this?
Are there any similar projects that people have done and have lessons or instructions at all?

Peter

in a nutshell its a switch type setup and a small pile of switch case statements

you have a couple buttons, up and down , maybe enter and each time one is hit you increment some variable, lets call it counter

you then have switch case statements (which are found in the reference) that react to changes in the counter, if you have 4 speed settings, on the 4th situation reset the counter so it loops back to one

its not instructions but its the basic idea

You can read this A Complete Beginners Guide to the Arduino. to learn how to connect the push button in Project 4.