No computer to program your microprocessor?

Telecommando:
In MY day, we didn't have any of those fancy-smancy compilers. We programmed on the bare metal, forging raw bits with nothing but our hands! No store-bought bits for us, no siree. We knew our code was done when we ran outta bits!

In 1978, I was an exchange summer student in the Netherlands, and I was programming PDP-11's. I had to manually toggle in the boot code each time I wanted run my program (which was a spool of paper tape produced as a batch job in the school's mainframe/super-minicomputer once a day). And needless to say during the day, I would patch the instructions loaded to 'debug' the program. On the 11, you soon learned 3 finger octal (the 11 grouped fields within the instruction in groups of 3 bits, and it had 8 registers, the leftover bit was a flag on whether the instruction operated on bytes or 16-bit words).

At my high school and early in my college days when I was still using cards, occasionally I would patch cards with scotch tape and exacto knives. I don't recall if I edited paper tape in that fashion or not.

My intro to assembler course in college, wanted to take us back to the 'good old days', and the first program had to be done in octal (though it was run on a simulator, since the machine we were programming for had been retired). A few of us who were already advanced, 'cheated' by writing the program in assembler, and then using a text editor to strip out the octal bits from the assembler listing file, and create the octal instructions that way without having to do the tedious task of updating the jump labels.

I should mention this machine was one of the early machines, and it didn't have the notion of index register. If you wanted to load:

a[b]

You would calculate the address of a+(b*sizeof(a[0]), mask it down, and update the next instruction in the stream, which was a load 0 so that it would have the correct address.

That being said, I suspect it would be a straight forward task to bring up the IDE on modern Android systems that provide host USB services. Of course a tablet/phone is really a computer underneath, and it doesn't count as this hack.