Arduino IDE on usb android devices

Has anyone heard of any projects porting the arduino IDE to android tablets. I would try to develop a solution myself and share with everyone but I have no knowledge of Java and I have no idea how to make a USB driver for my android tablet (Acer Iconia Tab) because it has a USB port and android apps are written in Java so shouldn't it be possible to port the arduino IDE for use with the android operating system?

I haven't seen any projects for an IDE. I have seen some projects that allow you to program an Arduino. I think the problem with an IDE it needs to be able to compile the code. I think getting the compiler to work on Android is where the problem lies.

I have been thinking about this since I picked up a Asus Transformer, which is an android tablet that also has an optional docking keyboard.

Personally I think the best approach would be some sort of cloud platform. The code would either reside on or be uploaded to a Linux server which would compile it and then return the resulting files. If the app were actually a 100% cloud app, then it would work on anything with a web browser as long as there was a way to program the Arduino. Programming the Arduino could be as simple as playing an audio file. There is at least one bootloader out there that supports this. Which implies any device with an audio jack and a web browser could then be an Arduino development platform.

I like this approach because it eliminates all compatibility issues. I can use not only Android, but an iPhone or even a smart tv.

I often find myself going to a clients or friends house where the proper development environment does not exist. So I end up bringing my laptop which is not my main development platform. If everything were available from a cloud like platform, then I wouldn't have to worry in these cases. I could log in, my code would be up-to-date and I could program the Arduino from almost any internet connected device.

This approach also opens up a lot more doors. Library repositories could be included as well as seamless versioning for source code and the ability to make your source code publicly available at the push of a button.

This could easily exist as a self hosted platform. Someone could download the files and put them on any server for their private Arduino hosted IDE. Or it could also be available as a ready-to-go service.

I am seriously considering starting work on something like this but would love to hear the feedback of you and others to help put it in the right direction.

A cloud system is genius! I just thought I would make some use for this USB port on my device but this sounds much simpler and much more compatable and open for everyone to use! I'm thinking about a Java applet to compile it in an HTML page since most devices have JavaScript enabled for web browsing but an HTML version might be possible

I think using the USB port would be important too. But that would obviously require some sort of driver and also a program program the Arduino. For older Arduinos and most Freeduinos which use the FTDI chip will need a driver to recognize that chip as a serial port. But it looks like FTDI has already started working on that... http://www.ftdichip.com/Android.htm

I would think the newer Arduinos should be recognized without a driver.

As far as the actual online app... There seem to be several readily available online IDE's. Maybe nothing that is perfect, but definitely enough to get some ideas from or to even port over to a compatible environment. I'll do some more research on this and let you know of my findings and what I see as +'s and -'s.

I've decided to go ahead and start working on a cloud IDE and compiler. It will be fairly basic to start and we'll see how it progresses.

I am going to use http://codemirror.net/ as the core for the IDE syntax highlighting and code hints. I will also make use of one of the readily available Make files to compile the code without the IDE. Overall it will be fairly simple, you create or upload your code to the online IDE. When you are ready to compile it, the server passes it off to a project directory where it compiles it with an Arduino stand-alone makefile. The server then either combines the necessary files into an archive for download or gives the links to the individual files unarchived.

I'm thinking there can be a lot of features added as it progresses. Initially I would like to find someone to help write an app for Android devices that have a USB port. The app will associate itself with the downloaded file and automatically open and upload it to a compatible Arduino device. The app could also be stand-alone, with it's own IDE and would use an API to upload the code to the cloud server where it would be compiled and then given the resulting files.

I'm hoping to have an alpha release of the online IDE this weekend (Arduino version 1.0 compatible). Then start working on an API and hopefully getting someone to work on an Android (tablet) App.

Oh wow that's amazing please keep me posted on how that turns out I would to love to help anyway I can but I am pretty busy with school and all that jazz

Have you made any progress on this? I think it would be an awesome idea. I'd like to teach kids about Arduino, it would be great to be able to do it with an app like this that could be accessed from anywhere.

I've gotten pretty far along with an online IDE, but it isn't quite ready to be released yet. I really need to find a way to load the firmware to an arduino from a phone/tablet. Most phones will require some sort of adapter and can load the firmware via the headphone jack.

Tablets that have USB ports just need an app that can see the USB serial port and load the firmware, all compilation will be done remotely.

If anyone is interested in helping with creating an app for USB enabled tablets, please let me know.

Jeff K - I have been working on a similar project. Maybe we can collaborate.

Any updates on this project? I've been kind of waiting around for a web-based Arduino environment to show up, but so far, nothing.

I didn't want to start hacking on my own 'cloud' solution for this if someone else has something going.

I have been talking about developing a web-based arduino IDE here but it seems that not very welcomed.

Hey Jeff, any progress made on this? Soundslike a really great idea.

Maybe if there was a version of processing that worked on the android, this would be simpler.

Paulware:
Maybe if there was a version of processing that worked on the android, this would be simpler.

Perhaps someone should suggest it at http://processing.org. It's all Java, so it might well be possible.

It wouldn't help with that fact that there doesn't seem to be a version of AVRDude that would run on an Android device though.

hey,
this is the great idea and also very useful for everyone. in my opinion if we able to program arduion board via tablet(Android) using usb so that also good deal

Check out ArduinoDroid - full-featured Arduino IDE on Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=name.antonsmirnov.android.arduinodroid