domestic satellit control

hello

im a newbie so please bare with me

i want to build a system with the r3 uno mcu this system is to control two motors and by control i mean the position (with absloute encorder or similar) i cant use a stepper motor ..... my main goal here is to implement feedback and have position control....

also i would like an lcd display to display the angle the motors are psoition at....an to move the motors im looking at a keypad of sum type to move the motors..........

the final big part is i want it to be able to communicate with my laptop via wireless ....an by this i mean i want to also be able to control the motor positions via my laptop wireless networking if that makes sense .........

i would be gratefull for as much helpp

Nothing you're describing seems impossible, although how hard it will be will be determined by the details you haven't mentioned yet. For example, moving an actuator to an absolute position is very simple using a servo, slightly harder using a stepper motor and harder again using an arbitrary motor and position encoder. You haven't described how the laptop would interact with the Arduino but for example if you install a network shield you could have the Arduino host a web site, or host a web site elsewhere and have it access a web service on the Arduino to do whatever-it-is that you want it to do.

sorry

i would like motor A to be able to rotate 360 degrees clock wise and anti clock wise and motor B to rotate 180 degrees cw and ccw .....would like both motors to be same ......and they would have to be wormed geared or geared so locked into position .....

and that sounds perfect i would like the laptop to interact with the ardiuno via wireless networking ... so i can change the positions of motors on my laptop via wireless network

"harder again using an arbitrary motor and position encoder" if you could please explain abit more bout this.

what motor an how would you suggest i get the position feedback so the motors could correct themselfs...... and what do u mean by arbitrary

isakiwanuka:
what motor an how would you suggest i get the position feedback so the motors could correct themselfs...... and what do u mean by arbitrary

By 'arbitrary' I mean a motor that you've chosen not because it is easy for the Arduino to work with. The Arduino can control various motors but it won't power them - you would need an external driver circuit to amplify the Arduino's puny logic signals up to something that will power the motor. How hard this will be would depend on the electrical characteristics of the motors. There are various shields commonly available for ordinary small electric motors that only need a few watts of power, but if the motor needs more than a few Amps or Volts then you will probably need to build your own driver circuit. Since your motor presumably doesn't provide any position control or sensing, you would have to attach your own position sensor and provide a means for the Arduino to read the position. For example that could be achieved using a potentiometer, or an encoder. Within the Arduino, you would use a closed loop feedback system to control the motors; your sketch would need to measure the current position of the motor, compare that with the position that you want it to be at, and power the motor in the right direction at the right speed to move it to that position. There is a control algorithm named PID (Proportional, Integral and Derivative Feedback) which is well suited to this sort of feedback loop. If you design the hardware so that the mechanism is self-supporting and does not need the motor to apply a force to keep it in position, this would work very well and I would anticipate you getting very nice smooth and well-damped movement.

thank you for the informationn

i was wondering what motor would you suggest for moving a load that weighed 25kg and was wormed geared to help keep position ???

thanks again for the help