Flywheel as quadcopter power source

FooTheBar:
"When you're spinning these flywheels you're going to get a tremendous gyroscopic effect that would make the quadcopter impossible to maneuver."

Of course, but this is also true for each of the rotors on your quadcopter :slight_smile:
One possible solution is to use two flywheels with the same speed and shape but with different directions. (i.e. exactly the same solution you use for your quadcopter)

I am curious how you will get the fly wheel to spin? If you use a power source, not only will you add unnecessary weight to the quad, but you are also adding inefficiency to your project. Why would you use power to spin a flywheel to make power?? Even if the system was 99% efficient (which it wouldn't even be close to), you are still using more power than you are making. Cars that utilize a fly wheel, such as a KERS system, capture small amounts of power from braking that would otherwise be lost as heat. What quad system is analogous with the braking system of a car?? I can't think of one, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. What are your thoughts on this issue?