Working with GSM modules

Hi,

I've worked with several different GSM modules in the past, and have built my own shields based on them.

Recently I've been using the SM5100B (GSM/GPRS Module - SM5100B - CEL-09533 - SparkFun Electronics). My selection criteria for choosing a GSM module hasn't been based so much on functionality, as the all important question, can I solder it by hand in my shed? The SM5100B is hand solder-able, but only just, the pitch spacing of the connectors is just on the limit of my eyesight (SM5100B Mating Connector - CEL-09535 - SparkFun Electronics). The soldering is so difficult that I recon about every other board I make fails.

What makes all this doubly frustrating is that since all I want to do is send and receive SMSs, I only actually need to use a tiny fraction of the pins available.

The Arduino GSM shield (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoGSMShield) uses the QuecTel M10 module, the picture and the eagle files suggest that the pitch spacing is much greater and should be easier to solder.

So my questions are....

• Does anyone know a supplier for the QuecTel M10 module alone (i.e. not on a shield)
  • Has anyone tried hand soldering one, is it as easy as it looks?
  • Can anyone recommend any other GSM modules that are easy to work with?

Thanks

Hey well id say the quectel m10 is better(in my opinion) and they were kind enough to send me one for free.!And yes id say it is easier to soldering but requires more components and the power supply must be perfect im trying to build my own gsm tomorrow..!

Im using basic stuff(not perfect design).Ill share the details if i have any luck