where to buy 24 awg stranded wire?

I have had a hard time finding 24 gauge stranded wire locally or mail-order. The big places (digikey, mouser, etc) only seem to sell it in massive quantities. 25-100ft would last me a long time.

Any ideas?

Justin

you can always cut up some extra CAT5 you got lying around

....though it might be solid....and not 24 AWG.....depends on what you got.

I'm pretty sure the cat5/6 that I have is all solid core, but I could be wrong. The jackets are also pretty thin. I'll double-check though!

Some cat5/6 is stranded, but not likely anything you would normally see (it tends to be much more expensive than solid core).

Allelectronics - CAT# 24RD-100 (red) $4.60 roll 100'

If you are desperate for less than 100" - try Radio Shack
:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Ah, there we go :slight_smile:

Surprisingly (or maybe not so...), Radio Shack doesn't carry 24awg stranded.

yep the smallest stranded radio shack has is 22

if your near a thrift store, I got a old 4 way VGA mechanical switch for 25 cents, and a sandwich bag full of 24 (in 5 inch segments) + some connectors, a monster switch and a nice metal housing :slight_smile:

Raleigh, NC

Cool beans! I'm in Greensboro :).

Yeah I'd recommend AllElectronics.

Yeah, 100' is a LOT. A WHOLE LOT. More than you'll EVER EVER NEED, but what can it hurt? If you've got space for it, buy it :).

I got one of these a couple of years ago. Very handy, fairly cheap. And you'll probably find other goodies at BG that will be fun/useful to hook up to the Arduino using your new wire :wink:

dang Im getting that

Old monitor extender, serial and printer cables, everything's converted to USB and there are plenty of them that haven't been thrown out yet. Good source of 22 or 24 gauge stranded.

It's probably too late for that treasure trove known as serial terminal wiring, I've pulled a couple hundred feet of 25 and 9 strand serial cable out in LAN conversions over the years.

I've pulled a couple hundred feet of 25 and 9 strand serial cable out in LAN conversions over the years.

If you've pulled cable, you surely know that there is still plenty of it up there, down here, and around the corner. I doubt it is completely gone, given some of the things I've seen.

Sometimes I wonder if it is left behind "just in case" something fails so bad that VT100 terminals become worth their weight in gold...

;D

if its not too awful you can send 10baseT half duplex over it with an acceptable packet loss

if its not too awful you can send 10baseT half duplex over it with an acceptable packet loss

Man, that sounds almost as bad as the time (back in high school) a friend and I managed to send CATV signals down a piece of staple-gun-mounted CAT3 (phone line) spliced with some speaker cable (and further spliced with $DEITY-knows-what-else) in his mom's trailer, just so he could have cable TV in his bedroom.

It worked, tho. Probably didn't make the FCC too happy.

;D

It's probably too late for that treasure trove known as serial terminal wiring

Oh, bleep no: just a couple of months ago I temped with an IT-geek friend to help him organize one of his equipment rooms. Now, I have rat's nests in my home office, but this was like a rat's nest on top of an eagle's nest on top of a beaver dam: there were three generations of obsolete infrastructure buried underneath the current mess. Including the wiring for the long-ago-scrapped terminals.

Unfortunately, we went way over the estimated time, so my spoilsport friend insisted on cutting the cables at the wall, instead of letting me pull a couple so I could do a wired connection to my storage shed :frowning: