Go Down

Topic: cheap 433 module - antenna please? Is this a waste of time? (Read 542 times) previous topic - next topic

DocStein99

Yes but so are NRF24s aren't they? I used, or tested, ESP-01 modules without flashing a new firmware. There are so many models of 8266 that it is difficult to say what they are not. But they use WLAN frequencies. ISM band 434MHz devices are easy because serial bus is usually easy.
What ?!!?  They ARE ?  I did NOT know that.  I guess anything is possible with enough knowledge and experience with time.  But yea, I'm looking for a straight-up wireless MEDIUM range (just my back yard for now) reliable serial port for my projects.  Modifying an ESP and playing around with the code is a project for itself.

The older Bluetooth (HC-05 OR 06) works very good, I made my vehicle keyless entry remote start project for THAT and it's impressive.  I use it to connect to an Android application for my phone (since I always have phone with me and forget where I put my keys and often LOSE the keys).

The problem with HC-05 bluetooth to android, is that if the signal is lost the application spazzed out and went through a re-connect procedure to establish a link again.  It's not good if I wanted to stream debug data processing - but got the job done for remote-control switches, buttons.  If I did not move around the phone the connection would be stable.  I also had issues with the RANGE on these devices as it seems some of them would be shorter than others, and I never seen any models or projects for me to add antenna or boost it's range.

LMI1

What ?!!?  They ARE ?  I did NOT know that.  I guess anything is possible with enough knowledge and experience with time.  But yea, I'm looking for a straight-up wireless MEDIUM range (just my back yard for now) reliable serial port for my projects.  Modifying an ESP and playing around with the code is a project for itself.

As far as I know, they are.

If I really wanted a reliable "wireless wire", I would take a 43XMHz ISM TX/RX module from lets say Radiometrix or RF solutions. Because they worked in paid job here. We used those modules in a couple of ski resorts at summertime, so there was not much garages or garage openers or radio amateurs. I was warned that those could block those modules. The only problem was that they were in a moving vehicle. Every thing was shaking loose in time. Not the modules themselves but they separated from the PCB.

Testing ESP01 modules was fun, but they need a processor to drive them. There are models which have those processors inside them. I got a net server and straight data transfer working, but the modules were connected in this same PC. I used two Arduino serial monitors and hand fed the AT-commands. So the range was around 1 meter or 3 feet. Sometimes even quite literally because I was between them.

DocStein99

1-3 feet is not a good distance to do too many things with.

What was the range on "43XMHz ISM TX/RX module Radiometrix" ?

LMI1

A few hundred meters. Enough. We didn't measure it. The receiver was at foot of the hill and transmitter could go just beyond it.

"1-3 feet is not a good distance to do too many things with." No, but that was the size of my table and USB cables. I plan to connect one of them to some processor board and take it further away. "When I have time" "any day now"

Go Up