Need board drawing PDF file for Micro board

I'm working on modifying my Arduino Micro to have a different power scheme. Trouble is, the printed board legend does not identify the components, so it's difficult to reverse-engineer the board.

I see that there is a zip file on the product page with the Eagle CAD files for the board. However, I don't use Eagle, and I don't want to install it on my PC because it will mess with file ownership versus the PCAD I use for board layout.

Can you Arduino people please make a PDF file with every layer of the Micro board available on its product page, so that I may see the layout? As an open-source hardware project, it's the least you can do.

I don't want to install it on my PC because it will mess with file ownership

You need to control file association, not hard to do.

Yes, and it's also not hard to publish a PDF file with the documentation of a product that Arduino sells and which is supposed to be DIY-friendly. Which would save me and many others the trouble of installing a software suite to read a file.

Perhaps - I can't see as having a PDF of a 4 layer card will help DIYers tho. I'm pretty sure the cards are not intended for hacking up except for the odd SJ (solder jumper) pad here and there. And the Micro doesn't have any.

MicroLayers.pdf (28.5 KB)

Thanks for providing the image.

I can see how you don't think it will be helpful - I don't find it very helpful either. It is too busy to see what's going on. I typically make a separate B&W page for each layer of a board, and another page of each of the top and bottom legend and mask, so that I can see all the traces and components easily.

Here's an example of what I consider to be enough documentation of an open hardware project - one of mine:
http://www.cathodecorner.com/bikeboombox/cdamp/

I was expecting that "open hardware" would be a bit more open.

I suppose I'll just have to download Eagle, generate the necessary documentation myself, and post it on my own website so that it will be available for others. Oh, well.

And then there's the question of the bill of materials.

Eagle can export a Parts List as well. Have to work backwards to your distributor for orderable part numbers. Part numbers can vary by whether you purchase in trays, tubes, reels, etc.

nixiebunny:
I see that there is a zip file on the product page with the Eagle CAD files for the board. However, I don't use Eagle, and I don't want to install it on my PC because it will mess with file ownership versus the PCAD I use for board layout.
You don't need to install Eagle CAD. I just extracted the files and placed them in a folder and it works fine.

Can you Arduino people please make a PDF file with every layer of the Micro board available on its product page, so that I may see the layout? As an open-source hardware project, it's the least you can do.
I find the last sentence a bit offensive (but I will put it down to a language/culture problem) as pretty much every member on here is not affiliated with the Arduino project but just offering there services FOC.

Riva:
I find the last sentence a bit offensive (but I will put it down to a language/culture problem) as pretty much every member on here is not affiliated with the Arduino project but just offering there services FOC.[/color]

Ok, I am not meaning to offend people here. It's the Arduino project that's getting my goat. I am frustrated at the lack of openness of this thing called open hardware as practiced by Arduino.

I just downloaded the Eagle program to my Mac, and have been trying to get it to make a PDF image file of one layer of the Micro board, in a resolution that is usable. Either I don't understand Eagle yet (quite likely), or the print options are severely limited.

I was able to get Eagle to display one layer at a time, and take a screen shot, and print that as a big PNG image.

http://www.nixiebunny.com/arduino/

I'm used to CAD software that will produce a useful printout of whichever layers I need, at a scale factor, I select. Such is life in the world of free software.

All's well that ends well. Now to get my power-on flip-flop working!